Should I start now?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chicksinthemachine, Jul 19, 2008.

1. chicksinthemachine

chicksinthemachine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Henley,MO
    Could use some advice, I have a 2 year old barred rock and she sleeps in a tree during the spring and summer, in the winter I put her in the pen(have to get her out of the tree) for warmth, otherwise she'd probably freeze to death! Anyway, I have some young chickens ( about 12 weeks old) they now get to free range and she doesn't want anything to do with them. So heres my ? should I lock her in the pen with the little ones now or just wait untill fall early winter and do it? How long do I need to keep them in there?

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    At 12 weeks old they cannot defend themselves. She can and probably would injure or kill them until she got used to them being around. I would pen her where they are near and she can see them for a couple weeks before letting her near them.

They should be at least 16 weeks old before you mix them. they need to be big enough to fight back if that is the mode she takes.

I wouldn't do it. I think if she is used to roosting in trees and being a bit wild she would manage toinjure or kill a few of them.

3. chicksinthemachine

chicksinthemachine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Henley,MO
    She is a very sweet hen and even lets my kids pick her up. They hand feed her(or she steals it from their hands.LOL) She has been around them for about 3 weeks now and has talked to a couple of them and is very curious but she just hangs back. After reading this do you think she would injure or hurt them?

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    If she is not showing any aggression then try it. Watch careful and any signs of problems separate them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by