should I stay or should I go now?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ck-newbe, Jun 23, 2011.

1. ck-newbe

ck-newbe Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2010
    Boone, NC
    If I stay there will be trouble, if I go there will be double.....Please help me decide, 1 of these 3, 20 week old, roosters will get to stay.

Lead roo, a light brahma from Ideal, but no feathered feet, he is the prettiest, and has the most testosterone. Crows the most, looks after the girls the most. Also the one who bit me on the back of the leg and left a bruise. He is also very hard to catch.

[​IMG]

Second in command, also a light brahma from Ideal, but with feathered feet, and he will tolerate some petting.

[​IMG]

The only "packing peanut" left from the Ideal shippment. He is very docile with people, but shunned by the rest of the flock.

[​IMG]

Don't worry, we will probably re-home them [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Who do you think should stay?

2. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    My guess is that rooster number three will step up to the plate without the competition from the two light Brahmas.

He looks to be a New Hampshire. Of course if you lived nearby I'd recommend one of my Delaware roos.

Hope things work out

Rancher

3. so lucky

so lucky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2011
    SE Missouri
    Definitely get rid of the agressive one. It's a toss-up between the other two. I love your view off the deck! Wow!

4. I'mLovinIt<3 <3

I'mLovinIt<3 <3 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2011
    El Sobrante,CA
    rancher hicks is right with the third rooster, but the first roo sounds good also. My roo used to be very much like the 1st roo you mentioned. But then i gave him a special treatment kind of thing where i was the only one in my family who fed him treats, and interacted with him. We did that for a month, and he stopped attacking me and as long as i would be in the coopwith him, anyone can now pet him and not get pecked. You don't have to completely give up on a good roo like that, just because of temperment, because it is very fixable. Good luck and cluck cluck!![​IMG]

5. ck-newbe

Dec 2, 2010
    Boone, NC
    Quote:Thanks! He is sweet, at least for now.

6. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Dh says definately keep the one on the plate!

[​IMG]

7. ck-newbe

Dec 2, 2010
    Boone, NC
    I'mLovinIt<3 <3 :

rancher hicks is right with the third rooster, but the first roo sounds good also. My roo used to be very much like the 1st roo you mentioned. But then i gave him a special treatment kind of thing where i was the only one in my family who fed him treats, and interacted with him. We did that for a month, and he stopped attacking me and as long as i would be in the coopwith him, anyone can now pet him and not get pecked. You don't have to completely give up on a good roo like that, just because of temperment, because it is very fixable. Good luck and cluck cluck!![​IMG]

The first roo is pretty awesome too, he usually gives the girls access to the treats before he takes any and this is the first time he has bitten me....​

8. ck-newbe

Dec 2, 2010
    Boone, NC
    Quote:Thanks!

9. ck-newbe

Dec 2, 2010
    Boone, NC
    Quote:

10. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Honestly it is hard to tell at 20 weeks what they will be like as they mature and how they will act/react toward you.

I would get rid of the one I like the least at this time - If you have room and the girls for two boys.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by