Should I still see blood in stool after 5 days of Corid treatment?

May 4, 2021
I have 18 chicks who are about five weeks old and have been on medicated feed since I picked them up from my local feed store around the time they hatched. Six days ago, I noticed blood in some stool and started them on the CORID 20% (amprolium) Soluble Powder, 10 oz.. Because there was really limited blood, I gave them about 1 teaspoon of CORID per gallon of water. Earlier today (the sixth day), I lowered the amount of CORID in their water; however, I've just noticed some new, very faint blood in their stool.

• All of the chicks are energetic and are vigorously.
  • No one seems lethargic.
  • I haven't been able to work out which chick(s) is having blood stool
Any advice? Is it normal to continue to see any amount blood in stool after 5 days of CORID when using 1 teaspoon per gallon? Before today, I last saw blood on the second day. The only liquid my chicks have had access to is the CORID water.

Last edited:
If possible, can you photograph some of the poop that concerns you? If not, is it evenly bloody looking/blood tinted, or is it normal looking poop with small tissue-y clumps of red? If the latter, that's more likely to be shed intestinal tract and it's normal and not a sigh of coccidiosis.

If possible, can you photograph some of the poop that concerns you? If not, is it evenly bloody looking/blood tinted, or is it normal looking poop with small tissue-y clumps of red? If the latter, that's more likely to be shed intestinal tract and it's normal and not a sigh of coccidiosis.
Sorry, no pictures! I've checked and I can't find any bloody stool. It was normal look poop with some blood on one side, though very faint.

"that's more likely to be shed intestinal tract"

Is that a byproduct of having coccidiosis or something else?

"that's more likely to be shed intestinal tract"

Is that a byproduct of having coccidiosis or something else?
Nope, it's a normal thing. They slough off pieces of their intestinal tract every so often, so you might find fleshy or blood-colored clumpy material in the poop.

Conversely, coccidiosis poop is generally blood colored throughout, and can look watery or splattered.

Back
Top Bottom