Should I stop worrying about them laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Alleyoops25, Oct 3, 2007.

1. Alleyoops25

Alleyoops25 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2007
    Colorado
    I have 9 hens that are actually laying, and am waiting for about 30 others to start laying. Its now getting preety cold here andmy hens are slowing down, and I am really begining to doubt that my pullets will ever start until spring. I would use the light bulb trick, but my DH still hasnt gotten around to building a coop.Right now they have a bunch of rabbit hutches and small coops built for two chickens. I assume that the hans will eventually stop laying, But shouuld I not bother worrying about the pullets laying until spring?

2. nccatnip

nccatnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2007
    Piedmont area NC
    Why not? They are going to do their own thing anyway. Continues to suprise the heck outta me.

3. Alleyoops25

Alleyoops25 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2007
    Colorado
    I have been hopful that since they were young enough that they would just start poping out eggs. But i was thinking if my older hens are giving up on it then maybe the pullets wont bother starting until next spring. I just wish my Dh would get the time to build the coop so I can have a light on them, and keep them laying. THe only other thing I heard of was to put chayanne pepper in their water to make them lay. I always figured that I would used chayanne pepper for cooking them.

4. WindyOaksYokes

WindyOaksYokes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Hunny... from what you told me of your breeds... you should have a few lay through the winter months... yes they slow down... but you will still get some... or should from what I have been told and understand. I would give up on looking for them... because you know what they say... when you dont lookk for it or expect it... it always happens!!! Good Luck hun... I will talk to you soon.
    Tes

5. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    WindyOakes is right...when you least expect it...

I'd been checking the boxes everyday, several times a day when they turned 18 weeks old...just in case, wasn't really expecting any eggs at all. The one day that I didn't check until I closed them down for the evening and viola' my first egg from one of our 19 1/2 week old Mottled Cochins. Don't give up hope...[​IMG]

Dawn

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by