should I straighten the hatching eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mamachick, May 23, 2008.

1. mamachick

mamachick Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2007
    I had several chicks start to hatch yesterday, and as the new chicks started stumbling around the incubator they knocked the still-hatching eggs around, causing them to roll over. One particular egg ended up with the new hole in the shell flat on the floor of the incubator. Was I wrong to turn them back to the position they had been in before getting knocked about? Now three of them appear to have stopped the hatching process, even though they had started! Are they dead?! :eek:

2. Their Other Mother

Their Other Mother Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    Arizona
    I don't know if it's wrong or not either but I just did the same thing in the same situation. Only I didn't open the lid, I used a wooden skewer ( like for shish-ke-bob grilling) to poke thru the air vents in the top. The Chick is hatched now and seems to be OK but check back in the morning for an update.

Another thing, the first chick was pecking at the second chicks shell like it was trying to help him get out. Probably got out a little sooner than he would have on his own.

I just know that one first chick is knocking eggs all over the place! I hope the corners are just as warm in my still air bator.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by