Should I switch feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by blumenmadchen, Nov 2, 2015.

1. blumenmadchen

blumenmadchen Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2015
    I have three chickens (2 EEs and 1 BO). They are about 28weeks old, and are currently on layer feed (have been for about a month or so). But they never did start laying. And now I'm sure they will wait till the spring to start. Should I switch them back to grower for the winter?

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

They are unlikely to wait until spring. You should have eggs within the next month or so, from at least the BO. EEs lay late but no hatchery bird takes that long. Keep them on a layer.

3. blumenmadchen

blumenmadchen Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2015
    Haha, I guess you were right, cause when I went out today to clean out the coop there were two beautiful tan eggs! My BO has started laying. Everyone's chickens around here have stopped for the winter which is why I figured they wouldn't. I'm so excited!

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
  4. jk47

jk47 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2013
    CA
    I agree keep them on layer they well need the calcium when they start to lay

5. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

That's the great thing about having point of lay pullets going into winter - they may take a bit longer to lay, but they'll produce straight through winter like no 2nd year hen can.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by