Should I take 30 Ameraucana eggs.

michigan chick

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 24, 2008
Sparta MI
I am very new to the hole chicken thing. I have 10 3 week old chicks of 5 different breeds. When I ordered them I also ordered 2 EE. They were on back order and I did not get them. I am on a waiting list but as of this week the place I put the order threw told me that they will not be getting them at all now. So I contacted a friend that lives in the next town who raises show Ameraucana. She doesn't have any day old chicks to sell me do to the high demand. But she will sell me 12 eggs for $30. Being new to chickens I do not know the first thing about incubating eggs. How hard is it, time it takes, cost, is it something a new chick mom should be getting in to and when they are old enough can they mix with current flock or do they still have to be quarantined for sometime. Is there anything else I should be worried with or should think about when deciding to go egg or not to go egg.
wee.gif
:weee What to do. Tara

So many questions. LOL It's always a good time to start. I love it. I would take the eggs and being they don't need to be shipped you may get a good hatch. You could go with a inexpensive bator. You can get one at TSC for around $50.00 and start that way.

The 21 days will seem like 21 years.
pop.gif
old.gif
pop.gif

I’m not good with words so I hope someone with more experience will say it better.

TAKE THEM, TAKE THEM, TAKE THEM.
wink.png

i'd do it. what do you have to lose. okay 30 bucks but it will give you experience. it is scary and will eat away at your nerves but it's worth it. just watch your temps, humidity and remember to turn them, unless you get a turner and you'll be fine. i'm doing it for the first time and it really isn't that complicated once you understand the mechanics and such behind the whole process. oh and get a good thermometer. let us know what you decide. plus if you have questions or freak out there are plenty of people here to put you back in perspective.

Just an observation:

$30.00 is a little high for a "friend" to sell eggs to you for.

My auctions usually start at $24.00 for 14-16 eggs and I sell the blacks and blues for less as they are very common.

I have been selling my eggs to BYC people for $25.00 (with shipping) as "friends" and I don't really know you guys......
frow.gif

See if she will come down on the price.

Last edited:
Here is an idea:

If your friend raises show Ameraucanas, she most likely will be culling out the ones that do not meet the standard. Maybe she would sell you a couple of pullets when she is ready to do that. They will lay just fine--maybe have some minor flaw that would keep them out of the breeding pens, but still nice birds.

It would be great to hatch if you want to, but you have to get an incubator and read up on the process. Remember, you'll get about 50% roosters--and what to do with them?

Your other option would be to post a "wanted" post in Buy, Sell, Trade, your feedstore, Craigslist, etc. to try to find Ameraucana/EE pullets the right age.

Whatever you decide, good luck.

If you have never incubated, you might want to get a bator and try some inexpensive eggs first. I do agree that 30.00 is a lot for a friend to sell you eggs for.

Quote:
I agree with sara. That's a really high price for a friend to be charged. For that, she ought to loan you an incubator to use, at least. I used to breed Ameraucanas and I breed Blue Orpingtons now...no friend of mine would pay that. It's not that hard to incubate eggs, however, there is a bit of a learning curve and the first batch may not make it out alive, if you get my drift. I even give people a big discount for picking up the eggs at my house rather than me having to pack and ship them. For a close friend, I might even give them the eggs for free the first time, if I dont have to ship them. That's just me, I guess, and whatever you want to do is completely up to you.

EDITED TO ADD: Lynn made a good suggestion about getting a couple of breeder cull pullets.

Last edited:
She did offer me a pair of her breeder cull pullets at the end of the season. She has an even higher price for a dozen eggs to those that are not friends. There is a very high demand for show quality Ameraucana here for that mater for true Ameraucana of any kind. We have a high number of people with EEL and they even are on an extreme demand and hard to get a hold of. She has a very long waiting list and is willing to give me next set. As to loaning the incubator she might be able to loan me one but I have not asked her yet. So much to think about. What do I do. Thank for all the thoughts that gives me something to think about. If I take the pullets how long to they have to stay quarantined. I do not what any problems with that. I have already had my far share of health problems and its only been three weeks today.

Back
Top Bottom