should i take a chance?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mamamage, Feb 21, 2018.

1. take a chance!

7 vote(s)
    58.3%
  2. girl, hell no!

5 vote(s)
    41.7%
  1. mamamage

mamamage Songster

Jan 25, 2018
    South Carolina
    sooooo i needed my chick fix before my chicks arrive in april, so my daughter and i went to tractor supply to see the new babies! while we were there i saw some silkie babies and my heart melted. i want to get one so bad, BUT what if he/she's a rooster!? the chicks i have coming are 7 hens and 1 rooster. would it be a bad idea to have the chance of adding another roo? this is my first experience with chickens so i'm counting on your expertise here

ButtonquailGirl14 likes this.
  2. Chickassan

Chickassan Crossing the Road

What kind of chicks are coming, more silkies? If not It's better to have a silkie flock seperate from a large fowl flock so it shouldn't matter if you get a roo out of the bin if you're wanting a silkie. You do need at least two though, they're kind of special. :)

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  3. mamamage

mamamage Songster

Jan 25, 2018
    South Carolina
    oh! goodness, how could i forget to add the breeds! i have two barred rocks, one sumatra, one star spangled hamburg, one golden laced wyandotte, and a white plymouth rock! the rooster is a buff orpington!

ButtonquailGirl14 likes this.
  4. azygous

azygous Free Ranging

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I know how irresistible baby chicks are. I've experienced the complete shutdown of my reason and found myself having a clerk box up four chicks to take home.

But think about when the chicks all grow to adulthood. If those other chicks are standard breeds, how will you deal with it when they gang up on the bantam Silkie? Rooster or not, the playing field is slanted against Silkies in a flock of standards.

5. Mylied

Mylied Crowing

Mar 12, 2012
    Middle Georgia
    Tsc has some not so great, big sized silkies. Something to consider. Our tsc also has a minimum of six chick purchase. If yours doesn't, I'd get at least two. Silkies are the best, at least the ones I've had.

mamamage and ButtonquailGirl14 like this.
  6. happyhens1972

happyhens1972 Songster

Jul 24, 2013
    Worcester, UK
    Firstly, it would be unfair to buy only one chick...they need other chicks for company, very much so, and without chick company do not thrive well and will be constantly chirping and squawking for attention. So you need to get at least three really....so what if you end up with three extra roos? The seven hens you are getting are not enough for two roos, let alone five! Time for a re-think hon. I totally understand the need for chick fix but you need to think of the long term implications and the needs of the chick for company xxx

7. Plip

Plip Free Ranging

Apr 28, 2010
    NW Washington State
    Life might be easier if you wait. The silkie that you get now will be six to eight weeks older than the rest of your chicks, and that could result in problems as they grow up, even if it is a she. You won't be able to keep them together at first.

On the other hand, if you're ready to deal with that for the first few months and if you have a plan... the heart wants what the heart wants!

mamamage and ButtonquailGirl14 like this.
  8. Chickassan

Chickassan Crossing the Road

Okay if you want silkies with that line up you're going to have to set up a whole different silkie environment for them. I don't think those breeds would be very kind to silkies. If you do it get more than one, i can't be more serious no lone silkies lol! :)

mamamage and azygous like this.
  9. azygous

azygous Free Ranging

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Silkies rule! But only if you give them their own state.

mamamage likes this.
  10. mamamage

mamamage Songster

Jan 25, 2018
    South Carolina
    thank you so much for all your feedback! i was planning on getting the silkie at the same time my other chicks came in, the lady said the new ones come in around april 2nd, so there wouldn't be much of an age difference. i was just gonna add him or her to the brooder with the others! but i totally get it, the size difference totally makes sense and i wouldn't want the baby to get ganged up on!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: