SHOULD I TAKE CHICKS AWAY FROM HEN???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bugladyleah, Apr 29, 2008.

1. bugladyleah

bugladyleah Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    PA
    Hey all you chicken experts out there...need an opinion. I have a silkie hen that went broody and has been sitting on about 16 or so eggs. She started hatching out babies yesterday and there are 5 so far, all dry & fuzzy. She is in with other broody hens & 2 roos in a large dog box about 2 ft. off the ground and has not left the nest yet. NOW...here's my dilemma. Do I take the chicks away from her and raise them inside in a brooder? I am afraid the other chickens will harass the chicks (I had this happen last year with a different breed and all the babies were killed). Once she gets them on the ground, they won't be able to get back in the box (which is really no big deal b/c the hens usually sleep under the box on the ground, anyway..unless they are broody, so she will stay with them). I also don't want the other broodies to leave their nests to "help" raise her babies (also had that happen last year). I realize I need a spot to segregate all my broody hens, I just don't have the $$ or space right now to do that, so this is what I am dealing with. Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Leah

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    If you had some killed last year I think the best thing would be to take the chicks and raise them in a large brooder box with a heatlamp, started at a 95 degree temp, ample room to get away from the heat if needed, chickstarter/grower and a waterer with marbles in it...paper towels on the brooder bottom for a few days and then add woodshavings.....

Last edited: Apr 29, 2008
  3. shortcake1806

shortcake1806 Sassy McSassington

Sep 11, 2007
    Is there any way you can isolate her and the babies from the other chickens?

4. bugladyleah

bugladyleah Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    PA
    Tuff...yeah, that is sort of what I am thinking. I have chicks inside now and would prefer if the hen would raise them, but I will feel bad if something happened. PLUS...here in PA it is going to freeze tonight...

5. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    I would try to move of her and the babies. I brrody my mom and babies for the first few weeks in a large dog crate. It hold them babies in well and mom keeps them warm. JMO....

PS...I had my babies out in low temps with mom this "spring". Once you take them away from her, she probably wont take them back. Plus, she did all that work...let her enjoy it! [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 29, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by