Should i take goose eggs ?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by RIR0BCM, Jan 16, 2015.

1. RIR0BCM

RIR0BCM Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2014
    Hi I found out that my goose is hiding two eggs under a pile of leaves should i let her incubat them naturally or should i put them in my incubtor ?
    Will the eggs hatch better in an incubator ?

I want to get 100% hatch rate i dont want to lose a single egg so whats better ??

Also will she keep laying if i take her eggs ?
    Can i take some of the eggs for incubating and leave the other ones with her ?

What do you think please help !!!

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    She will keep laying if you take them, so if you want to incubate some and have her set on the others that she lays later, that would be an option. If you take those two eggs now she may chose a different spot to lay the others. You could wait for a few days and see if she lays another couple and then put them in the incubator all at once.

3. RIR0BCM

Nov 7, 2014
    we bought them a month ago her previous owner said she laid 4 eggs and he gave them to me i incubated them but they didnt hatch
    2 out of 4 developed but died before hatching (i had a problem with the bator + the eggs were very muddy)

she stopped laying ever since but a few days ago we found one egg and we took it and today we found two more eggs hidden under a pile of leaves so i guess she figured that we took the eggs so she changed her laying spot/nest.

how many eggs in average does a goose lay in one season?

4. scratch'n'peck

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    The number of eggs a goose lays can probably vary quite a bit. One season my goose laid 5 eggs and then was chased away from the nest and then laid another 5 eggs a month later ad set on them. But she can probably lay more than that if you continue to take them away.

5. RIR0BCM

Nov 7, 2014
    oh thats good info
    can a goose hatch the eggs successfuly ?
    or is it better to put the eggs in an incubator for a better more successful hatching rate ?

6. flockman

flockman Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    Last year my goose laid 25 ish eggs. I let her set on 8. She hatched all 8. I disn't hatch any in the incubator.

7. RIR0BCM

Nov 7, 2014
    i want to let my goose set on some of them its so nice to see them raising their chicks !!!

what do you guy feed them ?
    im new to geese and i dont know what they like best
    whats the healthiest diet ?

8. scratch'n'peck

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    The Michigan chain farm store where i shop has water fowl pellets. In the cold winter I supplement with a bit of whole corn. Some people feed them all flock from Purina. Oh and they love romaine lettuce as a treat. They are looking forward to spring when they can have fresh grass again, but even then they will get their water fowl pellets.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
  9. RIR0BCM

Nov 7, 2014
    i feed them chicken's egg laying formula as basic feed and i give them winter grass veggies and bread but i didnt know they can eat corn !! ill difinantly try that tomorrow !!
    is there anything i shouldnt feed them ??

10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Not much bread at all it is mainly a filler and when wanting your goose to be as healthy as possible going into the laying months and your gander as fertile as possible, so not much in the way of bread, and no spinach. corn is okay for an afternoon treat especially in cold months it keeps their body heat up. Mine love romaine lettuce, cabbage, dried mealworms all will eat but my gander, I put BOSS in their feed for extra protein during breeding season.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by