Should I take her babies? ***Picturess ***

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ZoeS95423, Jun 23, 2011.

1. ZoeS95423

ZoeS95423 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Okay everyone, Most of you know I have just hatched some babies... terrible hatch rate. only hatched 2 out of 15 [​IMG]
    But my black swedish just hatched out 7 babies.

I have an outdoor brooder, and Its rather larger, so I was wondering would it be okay if I took 3 of her babies? To put with my 2? So that they can keep eachother warm (I will have a light)

Or is it a bad Idea, I also want to take some so that they are more human orientated. But I want to leave some with her to see the difference when they get older.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  2. Captain Cluck

Captain Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2009
    Central Florida
    I can tell you that when you leave ducklings with a mama they act wild. My mama duck is not really affectionate (unless you have peas) and her ducklings are terrified of humans even though I handled them shortly after they hatched and they saw me. I still try to pick them up, but they run screaming bloody murder when I do.

I have a dozen that I have hand reared, but I didn't handle them as much as I wanted to (had 2 small children in the house wanting to hold wiggly ducklings and they would drop them- so not much handling going on)
    They are less frightened of me than their siblings with a mama, but still act all freaky if I try to hold them. They do herd nicely, though.

If you handle your ducklings a lot and give them lots of attention, they will love you until they figure out they can run away. Then it will become a game to them. Just keep bribing them with their favorite treats and they will love you - just not as much as at first (because they have other ducks to hang with - total ducky devotion comes from solitary hand raised ducks who also want you to be their mate)

If your orphan ducklings are not more than a day or 2 older than the family (and the family is not older than 1-3 days), maybe you can sneak them under the duck hen at night? I'd only do this during hatching or the first day or 2 after, though. I am afraid of duck on duck murder.

3. ZoeS95423

Apr 17, 2011
    Well, they were hatched one day apart, from eachother... But mama duck, I am scared wouldnt accept them, she is very very protective and I cannot even get near her, or her babies.
    So many if I get the chance I should just take them away, cause I dont want wild ducks. Especially since their mama isnt really fond of me.

4. ZoeS95423

Apr 17, 2011
    bump

5. ducksinarow

ducksinarow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    Personally I would put the 2 in with the others. I think they are tons of work and mess. I do like them but I am not a mama duck. But if you want to raise them in a brooder that is up to you they are cute. You could try and see if she accepts them.

6. ZoeS95423

Apr 17, 2011
    How do I introduce baby ducks to her?
    I dont mind cleaning, because I have an outdoor brooder connected to the big coop, so its not a problem to clean.
    I just want them to be sociable when they get bigger, because I wont beable to keep them all, I already have friends set up as home for them when they get bigger.

7. Birdcrazy

Birdcrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    Australia
    I've hand raised lots of ducklings, all from which I got from my own duck [​IMG] but she is very friendly and never minds sharing the love and attention
    I've had to bring in new ducklings from hers due to an injury or being a tad too small...they weren't friendly at first but are very now [​IMG]
    If you can get close to the ducklings, I'm sure taking a couple will be fine. The ones you leave with the mum will be wild though.
    If you want to reintroduce your own to the mother duck, doing it while they're young will be best. Release them with the other ducklings, they'll probably adapt to them straight away and hope that mumma duck accepts them.

8. ZoeS95423

Apr 17, 2011
    they are all the same age.... maybe I will try that tomorrow... if It doesnt work, then Ill grab them and hopefully a couple of hers, maybe 4 out of the 7. Hopefully I can get close to them. Even grabbing her would be nice, so I could get them. But wont she be freaking out? She will be able to hear them peep.... hmm.

9. Birdcrazy

Birdcrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    Australia
    In the wild I think its 20% (?) of the young surviving to adulthood, it is not uncommon for babies to go missing - the mother will probably be aggressive towards you but once a couple of hers are out of her site she should be fine - its always how its been for my ducks (as i cant keep any and are constantly slowly giving them away to friends)
    Be careful though, my duck is always agressive to babies that aren't her own - but hopefully yours are young enough your duck wont mind

10. ZoeS95423

Apr 17, 2011
    Yeah, they are all the same age, and I think I might try it today, they are only 4 days old, and hers are the same.
    My bf said I cant take hers, and just to let her raise all the babies, then he doesnt have to put money into them....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by