Should I take her out!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kathchick, Jul 20, 2011.

1. kathchick

kathchick New Egg

Jul 19, 2011
    Hi all, my hen (onion) sat on 1 egg since 12noon (some 8 hours ago) (is in henhouse), removed egg still sat! Should I bring her inside (our house) so 2 others can go to bed? or just leave her there? I thought she was broody but maybe eggbound has laid everyday but takes ages every time (3-4 hours) also she is probably the most difficult, always preening!, compared to the other two, New to all this since April 2011, thought the one who had not laid since beginning of July laid today?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:alot of times when i go in the cope to see whos laid an egg there will be some of my hens that have decided to stay awhile, even after i take the egg from under them. She might be broody or just starting to become broody. If you think she is egg bound there is alot of info on BYC on what to do. Good luck and hope you can figure it out. Also sometimes my girls will go in and sit on someone elses egg too. I had 4 in one nest box yesterday.
    heres proof [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. kathchick

kathchick New Egg

Jul 19, 2011
    Thanks for the advice. This morning she was still sat in the same place, so have taken the roof of the coop, so not so private now! And thank goodness she's come out, albeit stroppy and growly! I think she was going broody, as she does lay daily. Will keep an eye on her today. Best wishes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by