should I take it back to the vet?? photo!!

rachelm10

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 16, 2008
I took my chick with the splayed leg to the vet. The bill was $102.00 !!! He splinted the leg, and wants to see me again on Wed. The splint isn't even helping! His whole leg is turned backwards. I don't know what to do b/c I can't keep spending $$$ like this on one single chick! Do you think he can live fine with a screwed up leg?

Help!!

Last edited:
If you can post a pic, that may be helpful. Some have spent way more on their birds so don't worry about being crazy.

As for a splint... you could probably do it yourself for the cost of a band aid, some tape, and cardboard.

How old is the chick? If it's young enough, it may be able to be fixed.

Yes, you are crazy. Big hearted, but crazy none the less. (You asked)

We had 4 splayed from our last batch, one so bad it looked like it was doing
a split. We saved 3 of the 4 by using the bandaid/tape method posted on
this site. One had to be euthanized but had other issues as many splayed
chicks do.

I question the ethics of your vet. He/she deserves to make money but that
is robbery.

Use the search function for splayed and see https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=20205

We
have a few birds with messed up feet that do fine. Even with a twisted leg it may be ok.

This is all heavy speculation without a picture.

Last edited:

My husband finally helped me post a picture!!
big_smile.png

Don't feel lonely, my wife paid $176 plus a $60 gas bill to see a vet.
he.gif
The vet took an x-ray found a screw the roo had swallowed, then told her to go home and have a nice chicken dinner, there was nothing he could do for the chicken.:thun GOD, we love our chickens.

Are the legs twisted around like it looks in that picture? If so
the spraddle may be a secondary symptom. That tape looks
very long too. Those legs need to be close together and in
position for a few days.

How old is that chick? Can it walk? Does it eat?

Chickenshadow,
The legs are twisted around, yes. The chick will be three weeks tomorrow (Tuesday). It eats and drinks fine. I really do not think the vet helped it at all...it actually seems worse b/c its harder to get around now. Should I call the vet back, or fix it myself?
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom