Should I take it out of the 'bator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rhotes, Feb 4, 2015.

1. rhotes

rhotes Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2013
    El Paso, TX
    Brand new chick hatched in my Brinsea mini-advance. The other eggs have not even pipped, one isn't even moving. Should I take this one out while it is still safe to open 'bator? Or leave him in crawling over eggs and eggshell till they are all done?

2. rhotes

Jan 30, 2013
    El Paso, TX
    [​IMG]

3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Congrats on your hatched chick :celebrate
    I personaly would leave the chick in the incubator. I don't like to take any out untill the hatch is complete or the incubator looks full. It dosnt need food and water yet and it's peeping should encourage the other chicks into hatching.

Wishing you the best of luck with your other eggs :fl

4. DanEP

DanEP Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    leave him in there. He can go till Saturday morning if need be and he's already warm. Hopefully he'll have some company soon.

5. rhotes

Jan 30, 2013
    El Paso, TX
    Thanks, guys! I knew that but had a momentary freak-out and was wavering. (First-time-mom problems. [​IMG]) I appreciate your expertise and keeping me on track. As opposed to my family. "How can you leave him there?!" "That egg shell debris is sharp! Get it out!" "He's crowded!" "He needs to be held!" Sheesh.

6. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    LOL. I'm with the family. I try to wait for a couple so they can go to the brooder together, but I am one of those that take mine out and put them in the brooder. I don't wait until the end of the hatch. Wether to leave the chicks in or take them out, in my opinion is a personal decision based on your comfort level. There is nothing wrong with those who choose to wait until the end of the hatch, and there is nothing wrong with those of us who don't. I keep my humidity quite high at hatch, and don't have a problem opening my bator to grab them out.
    He is adorable and look at those big feet!! Congrats and I hope the rest of the hatch goes just as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by