1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Should I take mother duck out from nest?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Smurfypop, Jul 6, 2016.

1. Smurfypop

Smurfypop New Egg

Mar 24, 2016
    Ireland
    My saxony duck has hatched out 1 duckling two days ago. Another is still in the process of hatching today. She hasn't left the nest since yesterday morning and it's 4 o clock now. Should I take her out of the nest for a while to eat and drink? She is seriously cranky.

2. ralph a

ralph a Out Of The Brooder

No i would not. She will not stay so long as to harm her self. But i would make sure the first guy to hatch has water and a little feed. Maybe a small dish of water and food by cranky mom and see what happens

1 person likes this.
  3. HannahDuckLover

HannahDuckLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2015
    By the jungle
    No, don't take her out yet. At least wait until all the eggs are hatched. But you can put some food and water right by her or very close to her.

Edit: But it wouldn't actually HURT anything for her to be out for a minute or two, just to have a sip of water and a bite of food. If you're worried, you can go ahead, just make sure she's not gone long.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  4. DuckGirl77

DuckGirl77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2016
    I agree, leave her be until they all hatch; she should know when to get off the nest.

5. Smurfypop

Smurfypop New Egg

Mar 24, 2016
    Ireland
    I will leave her be. Thanks guys. I'm just over worrying perhaps. First timer here :) here is a picture of the first baby. [​IMG]

6. DuckGirl77

DuckGirl77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2016
    You're welcome and I think every duck lover over-worries about these kinds of things!

So cute!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love the little webs! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by