1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Should I take my duck to the vet???

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by tia, Nov 11, 2009.

1. tia

tia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Valdez, Alaska
    [​IMG]

I've been giving my ducks brewer's yeast flakes and putting neosporin on their feet, but Buttercup has these dark spots too that are hard. I soaked his feet tonight, but they don't soften up much. Do I need to take him to the vet and have the vet cut the hard dark part off. I don't want to lose him..... : (

2. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    Im not sure but it may be Bumble Foot. If so you need to get the core of it out kind of like a pimple but you cut it. Im not positive so don't start getting any knives out or anything it might be something else. Look it up on BYC there is plenty on info on Bumble Foot.

3. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    I think a vet's input might be helpful. I haven't seen anything like that. You can also research it here on BYC.
    Personally, I would seek a vets advice on it, even with research.

4. classroomducks

classroomducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2009
    Fort Worth, Tx
  5. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    it fits for bumblefoot. If you're not an expert or haven't seen/done it before, I'd take her to the vet to cut open her sores and get the plug out. In ducks the puss gets hard like cheese and needs to be cut out. Just opening it up won't get the infection out. Your duck will also need some antibiotics, you can suggest Baytril. The vet may want to give her a pain med too. My duck ming mei also got a topical antibiotic/pain med in a liquid form to put on her sores.

6. Bossroo

Bossroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    Can you please post the final Vet bill for ming mei's foot ?

7. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    It kinda looks more like a fungus. There looks to be some on the right side of her foot as well. I remember seeing a post about the very same thing months ago but I'm not sure what they concluded it to be. Sorry I'm not much help.

8. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    This time i brought ming mei to the vet, it totaled around $150, but that included an emergency visit (which is twice the price because we brought her in after 6pm). The visit was $90,and she got three meds this time.

Last time (last winter) it was more expensive, ming mei had a lot more tests because i didn't know what bumblefoot was. We did a culture, an xray, and then she had surgery and got meds. it was around 380$ last time. eesh.... the xray alone was $200. the culture was another $50

9. Bossroo

Bossroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    Now ... If only she laid golden eggs.

10. jmc

jmc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    tufts vet. school nearby will ask 164.00 just to bring the duck in!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by