Should I take my sick baby to the doctor?

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by crzychickenlady, Jan 6, 2010.

1. crzychickenlady

crzychickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2007
    I have a sick 8 month old, he's displaying cold symptoms....cough, runny nose, but no fever.

I've been thru raising 2 other kids and usually the doctors will tell me "It's a cold, let it run it's course and use over the counter remedies."

I have been using Johnson's vapor bath, baby chest rub, children's Benadryl, and have a vaporizer with vicks going in the bedroom at night.
    The drug stores no longer sell ANY infant cold medicines and the 2 pharmacists I spoke to, one at Walgreen's the other at WalMart, said that all of the infant cold medicines have been taken off the market due to infant deaths.

Would I be wasting a trip by taking him to the doctor? It's also VERY cold out and I don't want to get him out in it and risk him getting sicker.

Any advice?

2. dichotomymom

dichotomymom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    Dayton Indiana
    If he isn't running a fever and don't seem to have any abdominal pulling or blue fingernails from not breathing well, I wouldn't. The only reason why I take my youngest when it seems like he only has a cold is because his asthma turns colds into much worse very quickly.

3. dichotomymom

dichotomymom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    Dayton Indiana
    Nasal aspirators got us through some rough nights with stuffy/runny noses btw:)

4. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    At the risk of sounding incredibly gross....if his snot is clear, it's a cold and there is nothing they can do. If it is greenish or yellow...take him because he could be getting a sinus infection that will hang on a while, he needs antibiotic. It may take him a while to get over it anyway, I just got over a cold that lasted 2 weeks! I was miserable with it. Poor baby, I hope he kicks it quicker!! Hugs to the little one, and to you for taking such good care of him! [​IMG]

5. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

Only you know your child, but if there is no fever there really isn't any sense in taking him to the doctor. They won't do anything for him and yes they have quit prescribing cold/coudh meds for children like they used to. A vaporizer, nasal aspirator, and vick's is your friend. Keeping the nose suctioned will help with the breathing and congestion and the vaporizer will help loosen the secretions. It's probably just viral and will pass in a few days.

6. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    if hes running a fever, take him to the doctors. if you have medical insurance for him thats why you have it. hope hes better. [​IMG]

7. crzychickenlady

crzychickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2007
    He's not showing any other symptoms. No ear pulling, no blue fingernails, he's not having any trouble breathing and his snot is clear...lol....just a nasty cough and the runny nose.

my youngest above him is 10 years old now, so it's been awhile since I've had to deal with Ped's.
    I just wanted to see what everyone else thought. I hate to get him out in this freezing weather only to get to the doctor and have them not be able to do anything.

It's 17 degrees here and over the course of today and tomorrow it's going to get down below freezing....so I just want to keep us inside and bundled up and stay warm...unless I really have to take him in. [​IMG] Hoping that I don't have to.

8. mandieg4

mandieg4 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2009
    Middle Georgia
    Sounds viral to me. Do you have any raw honey? In my experience raw honey works much better for cough that any OTC stuff, and it tastes better so you don't have to fight with them to take it.

9. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Don't take him to the doc til he runs a fever if he ever does.

10. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:DO NOT give honey to a child under a year old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by