1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Should i take out leaky egg?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by hanneymanor, Feb 17, 2009.

1. hanneymanor

hanneymanor New Egg

Feb 17, 2009
    Hi i've got 5 eggs in the incubator. Trouble is i noticed just after putting them in 2 started ozzing a clear liquid- not alot and then stopped. One started again and this goo was yellow so we've thrown it out. They' ve only been in there for 3 days, so still early days but i don't want any explosions- if you know what i mean! Should i take the other one out? This may be a bit tricky as not sure now which one was leaking! Also the one that leaked yellow has left a small blob in the incubator. Sould i try to clean this or should i leave well alone? Sorry! Its my first batch and i have so many questions and i'm really excited about the whole idea!
    Thanks for listening!
    Nicola

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    This would be a case for early candling. Some eggs will "sweat" a little, but if it was very noticeable, it's either got a crack or is too porous. You'll most likely want to remove it.

When you candle, you'll know.

3. hanneymanor

hanneymanor New Egg

Feb 17, 2009
    When should i candle? Bareing in mind they are maran eggs so are dark and what would be the best way to do this?

4. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    I would candle to check for cracks/damage as I am putting them in the incubator. I also candled at day 5 instead of 7, as it was already easy to see the tiny peeps ~ even in Marans eggs. Just use a bright light (even high-powered mag light) and a completely dark room.

Good luck!

5. hanneymanor

hanneymanor New Egg

Feb 17, 2009
    Thank you both for your help! I will keep you posted!
    Nicola

6. warmfuzzies

warmfuzzies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Boondocks, Colorado
    I had that and when I candled there was a dark ring around the egg at day 8. When I broke it open it was dead, about 3/4 inch long, and there were alot of ruptured blood vessels. So sad!

I dont know, but my theory was hairline cracks you cant see, and it got some disease or something. But I could be totally off the wall here! [​IMG]

Heres hping for some [​IMG] for you!!

7. Cowboy Joe

Cowboy Joe Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2009
    Western NY
    Is there an odor coming from the 'leaky' ones? Even if the shell is cracked, it may be too early for there to be enough bacteria to get that nice, ripe, rotten egg smell. Make sure you take these out if they begin to smell bad as the bacteria may infect the entire set if the bad egg ruptures.

8. hanneymanor

hanneymanor New Egg

Feb 17, 2009
    No smell at moment but as i said before i did take one out that was leaking yellow gunk. There is still some in the incubator a bit tricky to get to ! Do you think i should risk the others and leave it or risk the temp drop and clean it thoroughly?

9. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Cleaning removes the bloom.

If it's that bad, I'd remove it.

10. freshegg

freshegg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    greenfield,ma
    Im on day 18 and have a lg do you know if I have to pull a vent plug out today? Im taking the turner out today

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by