Should I take the egg turner out or not?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by crazyforchicks, Jan 7, 2011.

1. crazyforchicks

crazyforchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    I have a still air little giant incubator all set for lockdown on the 10th, I am using the turner right now, could I just leave the eggs in the turner and just unplug it? I would rather do this but I dont know? Any ideas are great!

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I would remove it, unless you can unplug it right when it is flat [​IMG]

3. crazyforchicks

Sep 11, 2010
    You mean straight up and down right? [​IMG]

4. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    It'd be best to take it completely out. It can cause troubles with hatching [​IMG]

5. tornado8070

tornado8070 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Ruth, MI
    My opinion would be 2 take it out. Chicks will be bouncing all over in there. If they are steping on the turners they may splay out or break legs. Just my opinion.

6. crazyforchicks

Sep 11, 2010
    So should I place them on their sides just in the bottom of the bator?

7. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    Yep, lay them flat on the bottom of the 'bator. The chicks that hatch first will be hopping around, learning balance, gaining strength, etc as the others are hatching. You don't want them to end up injuring themselves on the turner.

8. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    By "bottom of the bator" you mean on the wire mesh? Yes. Not on the true bottom though. I always take the turner out on day 18, too risky for those tiny legs.

Happy hatching! [​IMG]

9. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

Take the turner out. I use rubber shelf liner on top of the wire in the bator. It is soft and non skid for the chicks as they learn to stand and walk. You can clean, sanitize and re use or just throw away. I don't put the shelf liner in until I take the turner out.

Good luck with your hatch! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. crazyforchicks

Sep 11, 2010
    Thanks guys for the info!!! [​IMG] I am so very excited about this hatch I cant sit still!!!! [​IMG] I am going to take your advice and remove it. And put the shelf liner in! That is genius [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by