Should I take the eggs out?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by drmeyes236, Dec 22, 2009.

1. drmeyes236

drmeyes236 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    ohio
    I have a silkie that has been laying for the last 2 weeks and I have been taking the eggs out, question if I leave them will she eventually go broody? Or do I continue to take them, I would like her to hatch some if she would. Oh the eggs are fertile by the way I cracked 2 last night and they both had beautiful bulls-eyes.

2. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    You can leave golfballs or fake eggs. Then no risk of them going bad or being old eggs when she finally starts sitting on them. When she goes broody just take the last eggs you collected from her and swap them for the fake ones.

3. drmeyes236

Apr 13, 2009
    ohio
    okay another dumb question! Where do I keep the eggs I take from her?

4. Peeper7

Peeper7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    Northeast Ohio
    probably the same way you would store any hatching eggs...cool, clean, turning twice a day or tilting egg carton

5. drmeyes236

Apr 13, 2009
    ohio
    I have never stored hatching eggs! I have never had chickens before, [​IMG] LOL just hatched and gave away. So in the basement or the fridge? I am sorry I am asking all these dumb [​IMG] questions! So heres another one.....how long can I keep them before they go bad?

6. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    They are good for about 7-10 days before you start to get fewer chicks out of them. Most keep them slightly warmer than the fridge but to make it simpler I just put all mine in the fridge. If you leave them out they are still good to be eaten then or go in the fridge for awhile and be eaten. Eggs are still good after weeks on the counter so if your hen doesn't start sitting just rotate that batch to be eating eggs and start saving some new ones for the week.

7. LeghornLisa

LeghornLisa Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    going broody is actually a hormoanal thing with chickens, they will lose their under feathers to keep the eggs warm and not leave the egg...you will know when they go broody..you can't force it, it just happens...

8. Peeper7

Peeper7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    Northeast Ohio
    Quote:Oh Yah you will know when they go broody. They anchor themselves in the nest on the egg(s) and will growl and/or peck if you bother them sometimes. They may not even get up to eat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by