Should I take the hatched chick from the broody hen? Staggered hatch

Pics

uktech

Songster
May 22, 2020
South Bucks, UK
My Coop
My Coop
Question at the bottom if you want to skip to it.

22 days ago one of my youngest hens decided to go broody and sit on 4 eggs. For some reason, I didn't think she'd stick to it as she was just 8 months old.

I was away for work so the wife and kids managed the coop duties for 5 days but upon my return, found 16 or so eggs under her. The next day it was crossing 20 eggs so figured enough was enough.
d66d6eb8-9d36-46a0-9d6a-31a8fee8b501.jpg

I didn't think they would all lay in her box, but... :(

The next day I built her her own broody box and that is where she has been since.
cba5a322-2cb7-46de-acd0-e8936b34fe0e.jpg

Today, being the 21st day, her mood, posture, and general behavior was different. She was also clucking every now and again so upon inspection, I find this little one tucked under her wing...
67ee34cce81acca16573e6e18304c9fc.jpg

My problem is there are around 14 more eggs under her still and they spread out across a weeks worth of hatch days. I've done the incubator thing and hated the experience so am 100% for the natural process.

Question: When will the hen jump off the remaining eggs and start tending to the chicks that have hatched? Having read the board and many other places, it could be tomorrow or it could be next week. Would it then be wise to keep taking the hatched chicks indoors until most/all the eggs are hatched and then reintroduce them back to the hen? It has been about 24 hours since the little one hatched and so far she has been awesome, talking to the chick and staying put but also adjusting the eggs etc.

What to do? As always, highly appreciative of any and all advice.

Edit: I have 5 total hens and one rooster...and he told me he's 99% sure all the eggs are fertile :D

Chicks dont Have to eat for up to 3 days after hatching, but after 24 hours or so they begin grow restless & explore the nestbox. By the 3rd day, Mom will usually abandon remaining eggs to tend to the early chicks needs

If any chicks hatch more than 2 days earlier than the other eggs, i have done just as you mentioned. I move the early chicks to a temporary brooder with food, water and heat. I always leave at least one chick with mom, so she doesnt fret over her missing babies. When all viable eggs have hatched, i give the older chicks back to mom. I sl

When they are that far apart it's hard to get the hen to take them all. I know you said you don't like using an incubator, but it's your best bet, though the hen might not want the incubator chicks. You could also take the first chicks away and try to give them back later, I have had hens accept chicks that weren't even theirs, but I've also had them reject chicks, so it's risky. She might also look for the chicks you took and still abandon the eggs.

So if you don't want to use the incubator, how about you take the oldest chick out of every two that hatch, that way she will always have one and hopefully not abandon the rest, then try to give them all back at the end. Worst case she doesn't want them back and you have to raise them yourself. I hope this is helpful to you. :)

Oops accidently hit post button before i was done. Anyway, I slip the early chicks under her tail at night, where they can all snuggle and bond with mom as well as each other.

I would candle the remaining eggs. and remove any that are infertile or that have died. A rotten egg could explode under the hen and contaminate the other eggs. It would be difficult for any hen to properly cover and turn 22 eggs for 21 days. So no matter how fertile the roo, i would be very surprised if all eggs are alive.

In photo below, the one chick hatched 36 hours before the other eggs. I removed it after 48 hours, along with another chick. On the 2nd day, i enticed mom with her favorite meal of scrambled eggs to quickly come out and eat, drink and poop. It took 3 days for all eggs to hatch. Removing the early hatchees allowed them to eat and drink, & allowed mom to concentrate on the remaining eggs. If the eggs are really staggered, u may need to encourage mom to come off the eggs temporarily to take care of her own needs.

Congratulations on youe new chick. It is really cute!

Attachments

• 20200712_103719~2.jpg
    20200712_103719~2.jpg
    521.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 20200712_103813.jpg
    20200712_103813.jpg
    777.4 KB · Views: 17
ok apparently it was a mistake. The little one screamed the house down unless I picked it up and let it in my hand...wanting permanent attention. After 8 hours I put it back under her and immediate silence. She took it back no probs and went back to sleep. Wish I could give the time it deserves. Think I'm going to wait for two before I try that again.

On that note, day 23 from the start of her brood. Candled the eggs, some look very close, others much longer.
4370410e-abae-486d-86e0-5332e29d48e4.jpg

Fingers crossed for the rest :jumpy

Last edited:
Quick update. Still no more eggs hatched but the little one is getting hungry. I had sprinkled some crumbs on that corner.

I let her out for a moment to stretch her legs and do the necessary before placing her back in her hotel. She went straight back to the eggs and settled down.

Question at the bottom if you want to skip to it.

22 days ago one of my youngest hens decided to go broody and sit on 4 eggs. For some reason, I didn't think she'd stick to it as she was just 8 months old.

I was away for work so the wife and kids managed the coop duties for 5 days but upon my return, found 16 or so eggs under her. The next day it was crossing 20 eggs so figured enough was enough.
View attachment 2680694

I didn't think they would all lay in her box, but... :(

The next day I built her her own broody box and that is where she has been since.
View attachment 2680698

Today, being the 21st day, her mood, posture, and general behavior was different. She was also clucking every now and again so upon inspection, I find this little one tucked under her wing...
View attachment 2680699

My problem is there are around 14 more eggs under her still and they spread out across a weeks worth of hatch days. I've done the incubator thing and hated the experience so am 100% for the natural process.

Question: When will the hen jump off the remaining eggs and start tending to the chicks that have hatched? Having read the board and many other places, it could be tomorrow or it could be next week. Would it then be wise to keep taking the hatched chicks indoors until most/all the eggs are hatched and then reintroduce them back to the hen? It has been about 24 hours since the little one hatched and so far she has been awesome, talking to the chick and staying put but also adjusting the eggs etc.

What to do? As always, highly appreciative of any and all advice.

Edit: I have 5 total hens and one rooster...and he told me he's 99% sure all the eggs are fertile :D
Hi there! We had a very similar situation this spring. Left for vacation, and came back to 5 broody mamas sitting on 14,000* eggs. (*close estimate). They were 1-2 weeks staggered in age. I candled them throughout the last week, and threw out the eggs that were not developing, and in the end were left with 18 viable eggs. A few moms quit, so the two that were left saw the hatch through. They stayed on the eggs a lot longer than I thought they would to wait for later eggs to hatch. I think they waited for about a week before abandoning them, and I just made sure they had food and water within reach for both them and and their babies. The five abandoned eggs I then put into my incubator and hatched there. If you did that at that point you could either try to slip the babies in at night with the hen, go the brooder route, or rehome them (I have found that is not hard to do!).

Last edited:
so glad to hear it worked out for you. I wish I had an incubator to even do this, even though I had a bad experience last time.

Out of all the hens, she's the only one broody. To be honest she's being an angle. Food and water are next to her so should be ok. I'm thinking of doing what someone mentioned above about taking the chick out during the day and popping it back in the evening only because it's getting quite adventurous and where mama hen would sleep most of the time, she's now awake almost all day.

Not sure what else to do other than keep an eye on them both. and pray for a second hatch soon.

Out of the eggs, I removed two as they weren't viable so down to 11 now.

Back
Top Bottom