Should I take the turner out of my incubator or not?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chick lovers, Apr 2, 2015.

1. chick lovers

chick lovers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2013
    With my chickens.
    I am wondering if I should take the automatic egg turner out of my incubator or not for lock down. The last time I incubated I took the turner out on day 18, and I had 16 eggs all alive and bouncing around. I only had 8 hatch, one died while hatching, two were crippled with their legs turned backward, and the other five made it. I kept the humidity at 60-65 percent and the temp was between 98 and 101 degrees. Did I take the turner out too early and cause the chicks to get discombobulated in the shell? Is there anything I did noticeably wrong?
    Thanks for any info this batch is currently on day 17.

Dan

Last edited: Apr 3, 2015
  2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Yes, take the turner out. It's safer for the hatched chicks that way. Too many cracks and crevices for them to get caught in otherwise. It's recommended not to turn the eggs after day 18. That's not what caused your problems last time. I would suggest you get your thermometers calibrated to be sure they're right, as it sounds like they had problems with development.

3. chick lovers

chick lovers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2013
    With my chickens.
    OK thanks I have a reliable thermometer this time that is correct, the temperature last time was very up and down so maybe that was the problem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by