Should I toss it??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Oftwife03, Feb 5, 2017.

1. Oftwife03

Oftwife03 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2016
    Well I am on my second hatch. My first 9 out of 11 hatched but all devopled. I candled all my eggs yesterday morning on day 7 and 24 out of 25 for sure have veins and movement. One has nothing but I thought I would post here and see what y'all thought.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Both pics are the same egg. Here's a pic of one of my Easter egg I know is developing.
    [​IMG]

So should I toss it or wait a few more days??

2. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

Might just be my imagination, but it looks like there might be some veining there..? In any case, I'd err on the side of caution and, if it's not leaking or smelly, leave it until the next candling when you should be able to tell for sure.

24/25 developing is fantastic! Best of luck with your hatch. [​IMG]

3. Oftwife03

Jun 26, 2016
    The line that is running down it is a pencil mark just in case that is what you were seeing. I put an X on it to watch it closer. So far no smell. I was thinking leaving it to day 10 which is tuesday. I just worry about it going bad. I will be checking it again tonight and Tuesday. We will see what happens. I am very excited so many developed. I am working on hatching between 40 and 50 for a friend. So far she has 7 from the first batch. This batch and at least the next one will go to her. I am just trying to figure out what color eggs the girls will lay since we have NO idea what our rooster is. We got him with 2 easter egger hens.

4. kuchchicks

kuchchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2015
    Unfortunately I don't see any raining or growth in this picture. But like the previous post there's no harm in keeping the eggs in the incubator if it doesn't show signs of being bad. I am currently incubating some very dark eggshells and thought for sure none of them were developing. I ended up leaving them in a little bit longer to see if anything would happen and to my great excitement all but one of them had developed!

5. Oftwife03

Jun 26, 2016
    I ended up taking it out because we were pretty sure it never even started growing. We eggtopsied it to see we were right. No signs of anything other then yolk lol. I do have one that is dark and I really can't tell as well in it as I can all the others. I am watching it close making sure it doesn't smell or anything and hoping for the best.

6. kuchchicks

kuchchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2015
    For the really dark shells I have 2 tips... for whatever reason the flash light on my phone works really well. Super bright. Another trick is to use 2 LED flashlights. Shine one in from the top one from the bottom. And of course a really dark room![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by