Should I trade chickens for a MULE?????

CrazyAnimalGirl

Songster
9 Years
Jul 28, 2010
West of Atl, Ga
I know it's not all about chickens but I wanna hear from chicken owners.

I just got offered a mule in exchange for some chickens. The people are trying to get rid of the mule and want it gone asap.

I have 1.67 acres (almost all fenced), 4 dogs, flock of chickens (mostly young), and a cat. I need advice! I dont have a trailer, I can make shelter for him, the land is very nice and lots of good eatin.

Other than feed, hay, stuff like that, what else could I expect to provide? (like shoes or routine vaccinations, stuff I wouldnt know not owning any equine).

I am trying to get the person to send me photos. They will deliver the mule also.

And I want to get atleast one goat in the future....

How is the mule's personality? Is it friendly?I have seen some mules that are very kind and are great around even small kids. However, some that have not been treated well, can be hard to handle.

It will need to be wormed every 6 -8 weeks. It will also need to have his feet trimmed about every 6-8 weeks also. I usually do it at the same time. You will need to give him(or her) shots. What shots would depend on where you live.

Oh ok. Well I dont know about the temperment, never seen the mule.... but it would only need to get along with dogs and chickens and not escape. I can handle a meanie.

I already have ivomec for my chickies, would that work?

Trim the feet as in?? the hoof?

I don't know too much about mules but I do know the smallest cost of owning a horse is the purchase price. I would certainly ask about temperament. Even if you can handle a mean one - who wants to get kicked or bitten? Too many nice animals out there looking for homes. Good luck - I hope he's a keeper!
smile.png

Quote:
No you can't handle a mean mule. Ever hear of a "mule kick?" You can stand next to their front shoulder and they can kick you with a hind leg. Seen it happen to a ferrier when he thought he would teach a mule how to stand for him. After that the mule would go after the guy teeth bared ready for action.

Find out if the mule is an ass!!
gig.gif
lau.gif

No seriously...mules can be quite difficult, very stubborn and will need a companion. If you get the goat you want, then I'd consider it, but since you have no equine experience I'd probably pass on it.
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom