Should I transform a dog kennel into a temporary enclosure?

VeggieGoneEggie

Songster
Mar 25, 2017
Land of Enchantment
So we just moved into a new house a couple days ago, where I needed a new coop to move my 11 birds into.

But a deal to buy a coop from an acquaintance fell through, AND today was our first snow of the winter! Eeek! I'm panicking a little.

I'm on course now to get a custom built coop made for me and delivered in about 2-1/2 weeks. My chickens are still at the old house, where they can stay for a little while, in their old coop - but we're no longer living there (and it's a few miles away), and I'm especially worried

But in the meantime I have a couple of options, now that winter has set in:

OPTION A: Leave chickens where they are, and run an extension cord from the old house into the coop in order to power the waterer heaters. I'll be able to check in on them every 1-2 days.

OPTION B: Leave the chickens where they are, and just visit every 1-2 days as needed (based on temperatures) to replace a potentially frozen waterer with a thawed waterer.

OPTION C: Until my new coop gets to my new house, alter this 12' x 12' (6' tall) outdoor dog kennel and move my chickens in there temporarily. Then I would utilize the waterer heaters, but the girls would be with me, and I could check on them all day long.
--> NOTE: If you suggest OPTION C, what would I need to do to the kennel to make sure it's warm enough and predator proof? The ground on the inside is lined with pavers, which I think should help prevent critters from digging under. But the chain link along probably leaves the chickens vulnerable, and there's nothing on top. I'd probably also need to put some perches in there for them.

Thank you!

So we just moved into a new house a couple days ago, where I needed a new coop to move my 11 birds into.

But a deal to buy a coop from an acquaintance fell through, AND today was our first snow of the winter! Eeek! I'm panicking a little.

I'm on course now to get a custom built coop made for me and delivered in about 2-1/2 weeks. My chickens are still at the old house, where they can stay for a little while, in their old coop - but we're no longer living there (and it's a few miles away), and I'm especially worried

But in the meantime I have a couple of options, now that winter has set in:

OPTION A: Leave chickens where they are, and run an extension cord from the old house into the coop in order to power the waterer heaters. I'll be able to check in on them every 1-2 days.

OPTION B: Leave the chickens where they are, and just visit every 1-2 days as needed (based on temperatures) to replace a potentially frozen waterer with a thawed waterer.

OPTION C: Until my new coop gets to my new house, alter this 12' x 12' (6' tall) outdoor dog kennel and move my chickens in there temporarily. Then I would utilize the waterer heaters, but the girls would be with me, and I could check on them all day long.
--> NOTE: If you suggest OPTION C, what would I need to do to the kennel to make sure it's warm enough and predator proof? The ground on the inside is lined with pavers, which I think should help prevent critters from digging under. But the chain link along probably leaves the chickens vulnerable, and there's nothing on top. I'd probably also need to put some perches in there for them.

Thank you!
i would go with option A if still have power to heat waterers. seems like other options would result in unnecessary stress to your flock.

Tarped and lit up.
Not sure that tarp will hold up much snow load without more support under it,
have your roof rake ready!

upload_2018-11-13_10-25-10.png

I have several similar to that. All covered with deer netting. If raccoons present, then hotwire I advise as well.

Make so roost at least 18" from side. I would also make so they have a cover from elements that is about 24" above ground with ground beneath somewhat elevated so birds can stay dry when it get sloppy wet. I also have a windbreak birds can be behind when cold wind strikes.

I converted a dog kennel into a bird pen about 10 years ago.
I covered the top with chicken wire .
put the roosts about four feet off of the ground.
at the end where the roosts are, I have a tarp over the top and and about 5 feet along each side..
the tarp will have to be replaced about every 3 or 4 years..
you don't give us any idea of where you live and how severe your winters are..
I am assuming you are kind of southerly, because you are not indicating that the water will definatly freeze. up here is Wisc, there is no doubt ..
I kept 14 roosters in mine all winter with no bad results. no frost bite.
Oh yeah, I nearly forgot.
I ran 1 inch chicken wire all around the bottom, 2 feet high from the ground up..
bring the chickens home where you can check on them daily..
believe me. running to and fro will become a chore is short order..

I am a new chicken Mom facing my first winter. I have a pre-fab coop in a dog kennel with 4 chickens. And I have just gotten it ready for a New England winter. Tarped and lit up. Electric water warmers in place and already been useful.

Attachments

• CBE4A507-E097-4DBD-A54D-53801774015D.jpeg
    CBE4A507-E097-4DBD-A54D-53801774015D.jpeg
    415.6 KB · Views: 29
  • 8E625C37-9BBB-4EE7-8EDB-70869ACC254A.jpeg
    8E625C37-9BBB-4EE7-8EDB-70869ACC254A.jpeg
    455.2 KB · Views: 35
  • 0C4302B2-8913-4916-82B1-73CA27F2DCF4.jpeg
    0C4302B2-8913-4916-82B1-73CA27F2DCF4.jpeg
    333.6 KB · Views: 33
  • 771A761D-F3EF-4785-A87F-DD7A8C38D86E.jpeg
    771A761D-F3EF-4785-A87F-DD7A8C38D86E.jpeg