Should I treat as prevention?

Kirajean

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 28, 2014
I have raised chickens for years and only lost them due to predators (WA state). I am now in Kentucky. I lost one that seemed to be wry neck. That was a few months ago. Yesterday opened the coop to find my ISO hen face down and dead. I looked and saw no sign of trauma, nothing about her body looked sick. I haven’t seen blood in the poop. But the woman I got them from said coccidiosis is not uncommon in this area. I didn’t get a necropsy. I went and got Covid. Should I treat if I don’t have proof - as a preventative? All other hens and rooster are fine (all under 1 year old), as well as 6 one month old chicks. No one is showing signs of distress, but this just happened overnight, no warning that she was sick.

A necropsy is the best way to know if there is something contagious and give a cause of death. Wry neck can be a sign of Mareks disease, but usually from a vitamin deficiency or head injury. A few other viruses can cause wry neck symptoms. Many vets will let you bring in a sample of droppings to rule out coccidiosis or worms if you are bringing in another pet. Coccidiosis symptoms are lethargy, diarrhea with mucus or blood, puffed up appearance, and no appetite. But it usually affects young chickens under 10 weeks old. Sorry for your loss.

Back
Top Bottom