1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Should I treat for bumblefoot?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Diamond88, Sep 22, 2012.

1. Diamond88

Diamond88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2012
    Chicago
    My duck has little cuts on the bottom of both feet. They're very small little slits, not bloody or infected at all at this point. I had her in a rabbit cage with wire flooring, which I assume is why she got the cuts. Now I pulled the wire out and just have her on wood shavings. Should I expect the little cuts to heal on their own now that she's on a soft floor, or should I give her antibiotics for bumblefoot? Thanks!

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I would just keep an eye on them, make sure she can swim as often as she wants that will keep them clean you can also put some Neo on them as long as it doesn't have pain relief in it.

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I, too, would use the triple antibiotic as a preventative for several days.

4. Diamond88

Apr 25, 2012
    Chicago
    Thanks! I'll let her swim every day and I've been putting Neosporin (with no "caines") on her feet. But what antibiotic should I try?

5. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    If they don't look infected or look like they maybe getting infected then I wouldn't give her any antibiotics, they can cause other problems so it's best not to use unless absolutely necessary. your talking about oral antibiotics right?

6. Diamond88

Apr 25, 2012
    Chicago
    Yep, I was thinking I could go to a farm supply store and pick something up. But, I guess I'll wait a while longer and see what happens. Hopefully her feet will heal on their own. Thanks for the advice!

7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Antibiotics used when not necessary can cause us and them to build up resistance to them. and can upset the natural flora in our intestines which can cause stomach upset. So best to err on the side of caution when using. You caught it early so she'll probably heal up with what you are doing now.

8. Diamond88

Apr 25, 2012
    Chicago
    Very good to know. I'm keeping an eye on her. Hopefully she'll heal!

9. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    How do her feet look? maybe post a pic.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by