Should I treat my chicks for coccidiosis???

Pics

Iovemypeeps

Chirping
Aug 14, 2017
A couple days ago we noticed that one of our buff Orpington chicks was sleeping a lot more than the rest of the chicks and didn't seem to have as much energy. While the other chicks would be running around, this one would just be on its own sleeping. Yesterday she seemed to have more energy again and was running around with the other ones. Today she didnt seem as sleepy either, but possible was still was sleeping a bit more than the others. She's eating her food fine, but doesn't seem to be drinking much. We gave them some egg yolk the other night and they also have electrolytes and probiotics in their water. She also doesn't seem to be growing as much as the others and she is one of the smallest now. We have another buff Orpington chick that used to be smaller than this one, but now it is a lot bigger. Do you think this could be coccidiosis? We got some Corid from the feed store today just in case. Should I treat her with Corid just in case? If so, should I treat all the chicks? Btw, they are one week old. We also have some new chicks coming this Wednesday so I hope they won't get cocci from this chick if that is what she has...
I would appreciate any help you could give!

With Cocci they will also have blood in their poop. Treating with Corrid won't hurt the flock if they don't have it, but will save their lives if they do. Do treat the flock just in case. For more info, look up Coccidiosis The Chicken Chick. Great article, but the video at the end is sad, I do not suggest watching it. Have any advice @KikisGirls?

Just so you know..there doesn't not have to be signs of blood in the poop for it to be Coccidiosis, although that can be one sign of it.
The sleeping a lot and not having much energy part is also big tell tale signs of Coccidiosis too.

At 1 week of age, I think it is unlikely to be coccidiosis. While possible, it takes time for the coccidia to flourish enough in the gut to cause symptoms. A week is usually not enough time...and this particular chick has been sub-par for a number of days.

More likely, this particular chick has lingering bacterial infection that often occurs in young chicks (due to the process of pulling the egg yolk into the abdominal cavity and then closing the naval...sometimes some bacteria enter during the hatching process).

Treating with Corid won't hurt, as it is *possible* that it could be early start coccidiosis. I, however, think it more likely a good round of antibiotics would help. For these types of cases, I used to use Sulmet (a supha drug) as it addressed both the eColi and Salmonella bacteria frequently the cause as well as coccidia.

While you can't get Sulmet any more, you can still get Di-Methox, an oral antibacterial for chickens (sulfadimethoxine), if you can get it quickly.

Chicks with lingering low grade bacterial infections can go down hill quickly.

My thoughts.
LofMc

https://www.jefferspet.com/products/di-methox-12-5-gl

...and Coccidiosis doesn't always cause bloody poo. It depends upon where the overgrowth is in the intestinal tract. Higher up, it won't cause the bloody poo.

Usual symptoms are lethargy and ruffled appearance.

Di-Methox would treat both lingering bacterial and coccidia.
LofMc

Thank you for your replies! Maybe I should just treat them all just in case then... yes I had heard there doesn't need to be bloody poop for it to be cocci, and I haven't seen blood in any poop from this particular chick, although yesterday I noticed 2 pieces of poop that had a little bit of pinkish stuff in it... not sure if it was blood..? I don't know what chick it was from either..

Back
Top Bottom