1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Should I treat my new birds?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by nwfchickenman, Nov 7, 2010.

1. nwfchickenman

nwfchickenman Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2010
    NW Florida
    Hi,

I just brought home some chickens from a local auction livestock auction. They are my only chickens, not adding to a existing flock.

One of the more knowledgeable people at the auction said that because they were exposed to so many birds at the auction, several hundred, I should probably treat them with a mycin type antibiotic and some vitamins and electrolytes for seven days as a preventative.

Does this seem like good advice? I've read that you shouldn't use an antibiotic if they aren't sick.

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

No, the antibiotics don't sound like a good idea. All it is likely to do is mask any symptoms of any disease they may have been exposed to. The vitamins and electrolytes won't hurt them and may help them with the stress of the move.

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I agree with Katy, don't treat for a "maybe". Good luck with your new hens, and [​IMG]

4. nwfchickenman

nwfchickenman Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2010
    NW Florida
    Thank you both.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by