Should I trim her butt fluff?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by PurpleGizmo, May 2, 2009.

1. PurpleGizmo

PurpleGizmo Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2008
    Enumclaw, WA
    Hi there,

This may sound odd, but... should I gently trim the butt fluff of one of my chickens that tends to get poop on the fluff below her vent? It doesn't exactly look like pasty butt to me, and she has no problems eliminating. Being nervous, I cleaned her vent area when she was one week old. This is what it looked like two days ago:

[​IMG]

Should I do anything about it? She's 2.5 weeks old.

Thanks!

2. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    [​IMG] both you & your chickies!

If what's visable in that profile shot is all that's accumulated on her butt fluff, then no, I'd just leave it be & stay observant. I'd avoid unnecessary trimming just because it might then invite pecking from her brooder-mates.

But often I CAREFULLY trim instead of wash a chick's pasty butt. Though only when it really IS pasty butt, blocking the vent.
    I wish you & your feathered friends the greatest of success! [​IMG]

3. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Welcome! I live in Tacoma, not too far away from you.

Rather than trim her fluff, try rubbing a bit of vaseline, cooking oil, or a similarly oily substance on the offending area. That way, no worries about injury.

4. KattyKillFish

KattyKillFish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    i always wiped off the "extra poop" with a damp wamr paper towel. the chick HATED it, but it worked [​IMG]

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I had one pullet that had a nasty butt. I washed it off several times. I finally clipped it off. Now you can't tell who I clipped and who I didn't.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by