Should I try dry incubation method for new pekin duck egg?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lslauds, Apr 17, 2008.

1. lslauds

lslauds Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2008
    I also have what is 80% chance a pekin duck egg. I'm not sure if it's fertile, however this coming Sunday, I plan to set it. So, I read the article on dry incubation. Any opinions?

2. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Do not do it. Duck eggs have more porous shells and lose moisture twice as fast as chicken eggs. With ducks you need extra humidity.

3. joethebomb

joethebomb New Egg

May 10, 2008
    can i use the dry incubation process with quails eggs? coturnix quails.

thanks.

4. chickenhawk

chickenhawk Out Of The Brooder

I used the dry incubation method on my last batch of wynadottes. I was happy with the results 10 out of 11 eggs.
    During hatching I had it really humid, fog on the window. In the past I had really large bodied chicks that had died in the shell. After reading that articule I had to try it

5. waterfowlrescue

waterfowlrescue Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    NC
    Where are you getting these eggs? Your stealing them from nests around the pond? If you were purchasing them youd know what kind of eggs they were. Its a vioaltion of federal law to take eggs from the wild and also for you to be hatching and raising the mallards. Leave the ducks at the pond alone!

6. penelope77

penelope77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2008
    northeast oklahoma
    where did the post say anything about mallards? maybe the pekin had been around other pekins and other ducks but mostly seen with pekins and that's why they're not sure what it is. geesh i have eggs in my bator that could be this or could be that. it doesn't mean i stole eggs.

7. PearlD

PearlD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2007
    Northwest Alabama
    Holy Cow!! I didn't read ANYWHERE in her post about mallards. Someone's cranky today......

8. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    [​IMG]

9. PearlD

PearlD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2007
    Northwest Alabama
    AHHHHH! Now I get to the bottom of it!!! Went back reading OP past posts......waterfowlrescue, please accept my apologies on the 'cranky' comment. I get the FULL picture now..... [​IMG]

10. penelope77

penelope77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2008
    northeast oklahoma
    well if you don't read the persons other stuff elsewhere you can see where i would mistake what was going on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by