Should I try more?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by HilsingerFarm, Nov 15, 2019.

1. HilsingerFarm

HilsingerFarm In the Brooder

Nov 14, 2019
    I am hatching my first batch of chicks ever. 3 hatched perfectly normal then I mistakenly lost track of the humidity. One started hatching but the low humidity must have already taken its toll. It managed to break a good amount of the shell but the membrane was still stuck around it with a small hole with its beak out breathing. After 48 hours with it pretty much in the same position I took some tweezers and gently peeled back some of the dry membrane just enough for it to break out on its own. The results is kind of what you see here. It appears to have some sort of wry neck, spraddle leg, crooked toes, just low overall tone and body control. I put it in the Hatchery with the other chicks and they basically abused it so I put it in its own little Hatchery with a heater. It still is not thriving and the only way it will eat is if I give it sugar water from a dropper. I'm not an expert but I don't know how much more I can do for this chick. Does anyone have any more suggestions?

Attached Files:

2. Silkies for life

Silkies for life Songster

Jan 18, 2019
    Sandhills, North Carolina
    DiYMama540 and glassdragonfly like this.
  3. glassdragonfly

glassdragonfly Crowing

Sep 3, 2019
    Ozark,mo
    I would tape her toes so they are not curled and get her in a chick chair. She will probably need vitamins for her neck,I think its B vitamin but I'll tag some folks that are better at that. Chicks can live for a few days without food and gain strength fast if given a chance.
    @Eggcessive @azygous @dawg53

Silkies for life and DiYMama540 like this.
  4. HilsingerFarm

Nov 14, 2019
    Thanks! I will try that tomorrow. I feel so bad for the poor little thing!

DiYMama540 and Silkies for life like this.
  5. HilsingerFarm

Nov 14, 2019
    I will look up the chick chair, that sounds interesting! Thanks!

glassdragonfly likes this.
  6. azygous

azygous Crossing the Road

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Give the little thing vitamin E oil 400iu with a scant sliver of selenium for the neck issue. I suggest doing that before you address the feet and legs. It should take effect in a very short time.

You can squeeze the oil from the capsule directly into the beak, and you can dissolve the selenium in the warm sugar water. Poultry Nutri-drench is a very good thing to treat a chick like this since it will go immediately into its blood stream without needing to be metabolized by an immature liver.
    But do the E along with it.

You can make chick "shoes" to straighten the toes. Wait until the chick gains some strength and then tackle the spraddle leg. The chick chair is more for slipped tendon, so I would wait on using that. Do try to rig a hobble for the legs to pull them into proper alignment.

This chick may surprise you and be as normal as its mates in a week.

7. HilsingerFarm

Nov 14, 2019
    Thanks! I will get started on the supplements today!

8. HilsingerFarm

Nov 14, 2019
    So I did go by Vitamin E oil as well as electrolytes and nutri-drench. Gave him dropperfuls every hour or so all day. No improvement at all. He is breathing and will drink but will not stand up on his own or move very well. I don't think he will make it through the night. Thanks everyone for all your suggestions they have been very helpful! That said I have a jug of the chick electrolyte mix that I made up for him. Can I give that to my other chicks or does it have to be dumped out?

glassdragonfly likes this.
  9. glassdragonfly

glassdragonfly Crowing

Sep 3, 2019
    Ozark,mo
    :hugs:fl

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: