Should I tube feed my pullet who might have Coccidiosis?

Aug 5, 2021
Copperas Cove, TX
Hi!
I believe my pullet is close to death and I am trying to do everything I can think of to save her. I have been syringe feeding her water though I am not sure I am giving her enough. She has all the signs of Coccidiosis except the blood in her poo, she does have diarrhea. I am not sure the last time she ate but know it has been days.
I have tried, blueberries, yogurt, crumbles. She just sleeps all poofed up. She feels cold. I have her wrapped in a towel on my lab to keep her warm because me portable heater stopped working. Should I attempt to tube feed her? I wasn't sure if it would aggravate or make things worse in her little body. I have been putting the Corid or whatever it is in her water and forcing her to drink it, though I am not sure exactly how much I should put in a bowel because the measurements are so large. I have been doing 3ml in about a cup of water. Any help is appreciated.

Aug 5, 2021
Copperas Cove, TX
How long has she been like this?
What type of corid do you have?
How long have you been treating?
I don't know what kind it is. I started treating her sunday. I dont know how long she has had it. I noticed her behavior on Saturday. I tried to get a hold of my vet several times with no luck which makes me extremely frustrated. Looking for a new one now.

Crazy Maizie

Crowing
Jul 3, 2020
For the corid is it liquid or powder?
1635352647420.png

How long have you been treating?

Crazy Maizie

Crowing
Jul 3, 2020
It's 2 teaspoons per gallon. I would just make the whole gallon and I would treat your whole flock. Rarely does only one have an issue and others don't. However, it might not be coccidiosis.
How old is she?

Aug 5, 2021
Copperas Cove, TX
It's 2 teaspoons per gallon. I would just make the whole gallon and I would treat your whole flock. Rarely does only one have an issue and others don't. However, it might not be coccidiosis.
How old is she?
I did that for the other 2. She is 17 weeks old. The other 2 are not showing any signs. They are quite bigger than her but roughly the same age. She is not showing and respiratory issues. I looked up all the common diseases for chickens and she doesn't seem to fit any of those except Coccidiosis. I am not sure what else to do. I have been treating her Monday, not Sunday. Sunday is when I noticed she was a little off. So, she has been on treatment for 3 days. I just tube fed her. We will see what happens.

Crazy Maizie

Crowing
Jul 3, 2020
3 days might not long enough to show a lot of improvement if serious. Also, you might not have been giving enough corid due to the conversions. It's not really much of a waste even if you mixed 1 tsp in a half gallon, at least it would be the correct dosage.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2021
Copperas Cove, TX
3 days might not lo g enough to show a lot of improvement if serious. Also, you might not have been giving enough corid due to the conversions. It's not really much of a waste even if you mixed 1 tsp in a half gallon, at least it would be the correct dosage.
I have been giving her too much. I mixed 2 tbs not teaspoons. I put 3ml in a cup of water too. So I will correct that. Hopefully she will come around. I have her with me so I can keep an eye on her.

Crazy Maizie

Crowing
Jul 3, 2020
I have been giving her too much. I mixed 2 tbs not teaspoons. I put 3ml in a cup of water too. So I will correct that. Hopefully she will come around. I have her with me so I can keep an eye on her.
Oh. I see. Well hope she improves soon especially with the tube feeding. :fl

Top Bottom