Should I turn the lamp off at night?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Janay, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Janay

Janay Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2013
    Cape Cod, MA
    My Coop
    Hi,
    I was wondering if I should turn the brooder lamp off at night--so the chicks can get used to colder and dark nights. Yes or no??? Right now I have the lamp raised and the brooder is about 80 degrees F. I have seven chicks. I am using a red 250 watt bulb.
    Thank you!
    Janay

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    How old are the chicks?

3. kynewbchickie

kynewbchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Everything I've read says to leave the red lamps on round the clock - it's the warmth they need most during the first week, especially. I've got cold-weather hardy chicks (Australorps) and have been advised to keep the lamp on them 24/7 for the first 3-4 weeks, roughly until they feather out well and have a better time of maintaining their own heat. Ideally, 95 degrees the first week, then decrease by 5 degrees by raising the lamp every week thereafter until the temp matches that of the outside area they're going into (by the time ours go out, it'll be roughly 70 daytime, 50 night time temps) and we can coop them at night to keep them warm until things even out. (I am in the crazy weather state of Kentucky ;))

The red tint of the lamp is easier on their eyes for sleep purposes - so far, my babies haven't had a problem at all dropping to sleep, even with the other basement lights on today while I was going to and fro doing laundry. I'm planning to turn off all but the heat lamp tonight so they should snooze well, unless they decide to throw a party at 3 a.m. [​IMG]

4. Janay

Feb 25, 2013
    Cape Cod, MA
    My Coop
    They are 2 1/2 weeks old.

5. akchick76

akchick76 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Alaska
    If the lamp is for heat, then I would leave it on. Unfortunately, they will chatter and party most of the night. I did that for about a night and decided to change it. I now have a brinsea for heat and they get the lamp during the day, but only for light. Its up higher, so they dont overcook. At night I turn the light off, leave the brinsea on, and they pretty much go to sleep with less chatter.

Just remember, their mama wouldn't leave a night light on for them, but she does keep them warm.

6. what did I do

what did I do Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2012
    Montana
    If the day time temps are warm enough, I'd turn the light off during the day but not at night. They still need the warmth of the light.

7. Janay

Feb 25, 2013
    Cape Cod, MA
    My Coop
    They have the light for light and heat. I guess I will keep it on then and keep raising it a few inches every week.
    Thank you all!

8. Janay

Feb 25, 2013
    Cape Cod, MA
    My Coop
    My chicks are now 5 weeks old. A few nights ago, I turned the lamp off for the night, just to see how they'd do. They seem to have almost all their feathers. The next morning they were huddled close together. So maybe I'll try it next week...

9. frogz

frogz Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2013
    Springfield, IL
    If you are trying to get the chicks used to colder temperatures try a lower watt bulb. A 100 watt bulb would probably be enough for them at night

10. Haveandtohold

Haveandtohold Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2013
    Boulder,CO
    Leave the light on all the time till they're feather out! They won't need to 'get used' to anything if they have their feathers and are old enough they'll be fully capable of adjusting and staying warm enough on their own. Till then, keep the light on so they can stay warm and focus on all that growing that's ahead of them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by