Should I turn them in? (Animal cruelty?)

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by NewHopePoultry, Oct 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    Today I took my daughter on a PAT school trip to a pumpkin patch.
    Well, there was some animals there and I didnt think they were being taken care of very well.
    I know its a public thing and of course the main thing there was the pumkins.

Pen #1: Mixture of ducks, turkeys, chickens & a few guineas. The pen and building were packed full. Several turkeys were limping. Chickens looked rough. Alot of them had red bare bottoms.
    Very few things of water and what water was there looked dirty. It was 85 degrees today and the ducks looked hot, they were laying in the ground with their wings spread.

Pen #2: Several goats and a calf. 2 small 3-sided sheds, both facing west. Not big enough for all the animals to get in if the weather turns bad. Being food grain and ice cream cones. Didnt see a food pan or anything for water.

Pen #3: 2 young pigs in a tiny run. Small dog house for the shelter. Not big enough for them both. Green mucky water. Food covered in flies.

Pen #4: 2 litters of lab pups, the 2 moms and the dad. Water was dirty and smelled. Runs looked small, but other wise ok.

Should I turn them in?

2. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Definitely, especially if animals, such as the turkeys, were injured.

With the others, as long as there is shelter, doesn't matter if it is inadequate, the authorities won't do a thing.

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    You have to follow your gut on this one..
    The lack of and dirty water concerns me the most.

4. gavinandallison

gavinandallison Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2010
    Matthews, NC.
    Yes!

5. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    Sounds like they need to be educated. Maybe they are just in over their heads.

6. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Yes

7. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Just so you know, ducks will make their drinking water filthy instantly from what I have read on BYC. So if there are ducks in the picture, the water will be nasty.

Sorry I have no advice, but wanted to share that info. with you in case you didn't know.

8. MeatKing

MeatKing Chillin' With My Peeps

Ahhh, so glad that's you not me...

I would really like to give them benfit of dought?
    Maybe they pushed them on in small pen, just for kids... 2 hours? Then back to their big spacsious pen in the back.. With a big clean water feeder?

I ould ask some questions, or go get a better look before calling athorties.. But if you truely think animals are in imdeate danger... I would call asap

9. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    Ive had ducks and know how messy they are, but even if it was the ducks that made that pens water dirty, they didnt make the water dirty in all the other pens.
    I manged to ask one of the workers if those were the periment pens and they said they were.
    We were there for 4 hours and they are open 6 days a week. I didnt see any other pens besides the one up front.
    All the fields around were filled with pumpkins.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  10. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    If they lived near me, I'd report it. Otherwise I've seen some pretty rough living conditions for animals but don't report it because especially with poultry, it can be common. And a lot of people don't consider it report-worthy. Plus, I don't live in the area.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by