Should I Use A Sharpie To Mark Eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ChickenAndMore, Feb 11, 2014.

1. ChickenAndMore

ChickenAndMore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2012
    Texas
    Does anyone use sharpies to write on hatching eggs? I use a pencil for my chickens but I need something darker for my coturnix quail eggs. If you do use a sharpie what is your hatch rate?

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I've used a sharpie to mark the eggs I'm letting a broody hatch. My broodies stay in the coop with the other hens, so I have to mark their eggs to be able to pull out "extras" the other hens contribute. I simply draw a line all the way around the egg. It's not seemed to effect my hatch rates at all, my broodies last summer had a 100% hatch rate.

3. red horse ranch

red horse ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2014
    Buffalo Wyoming
    I've also used a sharpie and didn't notice it lowering my hatch rate. Doesn't seem like it should affect the egg any more than a lead pencil would.

4. ChickenAndMore

ChickenAndMore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2012
    Texas
    I will try it and see if it affects my hatch rate any, I didn't think it would but I just wanted to make sure it wouldn't harm/kill the eggs.

5. Avlana

Avlana Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    I've bought hatching eggs that had sharpie written on them with the breed and dates they were collected and they hatched out just fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by