Should I use Ivermectin Cattle pour on for Mites?

chickenchicken123

In the Brooder
May 7, 2022
Hi,

is ivermectin safe for chickens to treat mites? I’m looking at the topical pour on cattle solution, a blue bottle on Amazon.

I am also concerned about if it will burn the backs of their necks or if I can overdose them and they could die. Also the egg withdrawal time, it says seven days by most people but that time wasn’t made by a scientist or professionals so maybe I should wait longer? I was wondering if any of you might use ivermectin on your birds and could give some advice.

Thank you 🙏!!!

Hi,

is ivermectin safe for chickens to treat mites? I’m looking at the topical pour on cattle solution, a blue bottle on Amazon.

I am also concerned about if it will burn the backs of their necks or if I can overdose them and they could die. Also the egg withdrawal time, it says seven days by most people but that time wasn’t made by a scientist or professionals so maybe I should wait longer? I was wondering if any of you might use ivermectin on your birds and could give some advice.

Thank you 🙏!!!
Have you confirmed that it is mites you are dealing with and not lice?

If it's mites, then Ivermectin Pour On should be an effective treatment for the mites when they come to feed on your birds.
Dealing with Mites is two-fold. You will still need to treat housing, nesting boxes, roosting bars, etc. with a Permethrin based poultry spray or dust. Elector PSP is also a method of treatment that is affective against mites on both birds and housing.

Ivermectin does not have an official withdrawal period. I've seen anything from 7 days and up for the time period. You do need to remember that this time period is After last treatment, so...Ivermectin is given once, then repeated in 10-14 days, so you are looking at a minimum of 17 day withdrawal period.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/280...al withdrawal time for,and 10 days for kidney.

Here's dosing info for Ivermectin
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/mites-lice-now-hen-growling.1242981/post-19965544

Back
Top Bottom