Should I use Sulmet for my chicken? I need an answer ASAP!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ThePigeonKid, Jun 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThePigeonKid

ThePigeonKid Songster

May 24, 2010
    Ohio - Chickens 3yrs
    My chicken was attacked by a dog and I am wondering if Sulmet antibacterial drinking water solution would help her heal? I need an answer ASAP!

2. jjthink

jjthink Crowing

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Tell us much more please. Exactly what are the injuries? Post photos if you can.

Shock is the thing to work on first - calming the bird so it doesn't succumb. A bit of electroltyes for shock (Pedialtye or Gatorade reportedly will do in a pinch). Put the bird in a calm comfortable place so there is no added stress whatsoever. Be comforting and calm. Stay with the bird until it is calm and bright eyed and you are sure it is not succumbing to shock.

Some wounds will respond very well to cleaning and then topical application fo Neosporin (without the added pain reliever). Other times you really need to add oral or injectible antibiotic - depends on severity of the injuries.

Aspirin in water can be instrumental in pain relief (thus also helps with eating and drinking) but not while actively bleeding or if internal bleeding suspected.

Don't take the time to answer this yet - as stabilizing the bird is most important - but do you know whose dog it is? JJ

3. jjthink

jjthink Crowing

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Never mind on the pics PK - I see you have another thread running about this.....

JJ

4. ThePigeonKid

ThePigeonKid Songster

May 24, 2010
    Ohio - Chickens 3yrs
  5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by