Should I vaccinate my chicks?

gumpsgirl

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Mar 25, 2008
Virginia
I am getting ready to order some more chicks and am debating on if I should get these chicks vaccinated or not. I didn't know better with my last bunch. I bought them from my local farm supply store and they didn't say anything about it. (I've learned a lot since then!
big_smile.png
) Is this something you would recommend? Why or why not? Thanks!

Quote:
Vaccinations do not harm chicks.

If they are going onto land occupied by poultry in the last couple of years, or if they will be in contact with, or close to, other poultry then by all means get them vaccinated. Otherwise, I wouldn't vaccinate mine.

It's a personal choice.

I probably would vaccinate any that might be future breeding stock or showbirds.

Quote:
I paid about $13 for a bottle. One bottle can do 1000 chicks. I only did 23 this year, and disposed of the rest. I still consider it cheap protection.

When you say 'chickens close by', how close do you mean? i opted NOT to vaccinate as we've never had chickens, and will not show them, etc. Our neighbor across the street (probably 1000 feet away) has chickens.

Thanks! Lisa

PS I am going to post coop pics as soon as I figure out how to do it!

Quote:
Thanks for the link!
I'm hatching small quantities several times this year, but some are definitely destined to show in the local fair. So I need to vaccinate them. $13 doesn't seem like a lot of $, and if the vaccine stores any length of time I should be able to do all the new peeps.

My original peeps were vacinated when I bought them. Seemed very worth the cost to be on the safe side, even though I wasn't going to show them. There are chickens in our area, so I figured that was safest.

Quote:
Thanks for the link!
I'm hatching small quantities several times this year, but some are definitely destined to show in the local fair. So I need to vaccinate them. $13 doesn't seem like a lot of $, and if the vaccine stores any length of time I should be able to do all the new peeps.

My original peeps were vacinated when I bought them. Seemed very worth the cost to be on the safe side, even though I wasn't going to show them. There are chickens in our area, so I figured that was safest.

The vaccine doesn't store long. There is a freeze dried tablet and a bottle of mixing solution. It all has to be kept in the fridge. I cut the tablet into quarters and only use 1/4 at a time. The unused portions of the freeze dried tablet will keep in the fridge for a while, but not forever. If your hatches will be within 2 - 4 weeks of eachother it should keep long enough.

If you are expecting more chicks at different times, cut the tablet into fourths and only use 1/4 of the liquid solution and 1/4 of the tablet to mix your vaccine (you could also use 1/2 of each). Make sure you use a sterilized glass container. If mixing it all, use the bottle they provide. Each chick gets .2 (it's marked on the syringe) injected just under the skin. One person holds the baby. Another lifts the skin slightly on the back of the neck near the base and and injects just under the skin. It will leave a little bump that will go away. Some people prefer giving the shot in the leg instead of the neck. Just remember that it is supposed to be given just under the skin, not into a muscle. Very experienced people on another forum gave me these instructions and I verified it with the manufacturer. The vaccine must stay refrigerated and is only good for about one hour once it is mixed.

Last edited:
Cool!
Thanks for all the good info.
No, my hatches will each be about 1 month apart. From what you stated, I could probaby keep part of the tablet frozen after cutting it up for later hatches? It's thaawing it that causes limits?

DH has a pill cutter (and doesn't use it), so I'm sure we could split the tablet pretty neatly.

It comes with the syringe? That was gonna be my next question...

Back
Top Bottom