Should I vaccine my small flock for Newcastle-Bronchitis???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Quiobole, Dec 4, 2010.

1. Quiobole

Quiobole Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2010
    Houston
    I was thinking of vaccinating my very small flock of 5 with a Newcastle-Bronchitis vaccine. Unfortunately there aren't any poultry vets around here (that I know of). (I live in Houston so if anybody knows where there IS one please tell me!)

Anyway, the vial comes with 1000 doses!!!

I really want my chickens to be well protected, because unfortunately one of my little baby roos passed away a few days ago [​IMG]... The poor thing couldn't breath...

All of my chickens are less than a year old and I want them to be able to live long, full lives.

I've emailed the "Chicken Doctor" and he said that because it's such a small flock, it may actually do more harm than good, and that I should only do it if it's absolutely necessary.

I just wanted to see what you guys think and if anyone has vaccined such a small flock before.

2. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    There actually are some amazing avian vets at Gulf Coast Animal Hospital in Houston-be prepared to pay a small fortune if you go there, though.
    Vaccinating your birds is really a personal decision-I have only vaccinated for Mareks.
    I'm really sorry you lost your little rooster. [​IMG]

3. Quiobole

Quiobole Out Of The Brooder

Nov 26, 2010
    Houston
    I've called and they told me they don't give vaccines to birds. I guess they work mainly on ordinary pet birds (no offense to anybody).

Does anybody know where I can find some with lower doses???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by