should I wait 45 days instead of 30?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Vickir73, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Vickir73

Vickir73 Chickens Ate My Brain

Sep 9, 2010
    Leggett/Livingston
    I bought 3 lavender orphs, 1 buff orphs, and 4 leghorn chicks from a lady locally on July 30th that are quarantined and 107 chicks I bought from Ideal Poultry that are quarantined in a (larger) different area. I've had them all for 3 weeks today and really, really want to put them together, but the lady I bought the orphs and leghorns from had a LOT, LOT, LOT of birds (in too small of an area - I felt so bad for the birds) and when I went to her house there were several that were sneezing so I've been very nervous about putting them together. Do you think I should wait 45 days instead of 30 before putting all the chicks together? The birds I bought from the lady I have kept in a completely different house and area than where I keep all my other chicks/chickens. (The chicks I bought from the lady are kept in a brooder container on my grandmother's enclosed back porch, so there's a pretty slim chance of anything even being carried by the wind.) Since I was/am worried about a sickness I've been VERY, VERY careful not to expose the chicks I bought from the lady to any other chickens or animals for that matter.

So far none of the chicks (from the lady or Ideal) have shown any signs of sickness, but I know that doesn't mean anything.

The chicks from Ideal will be added to my "baby" coop the weekend of August 6th, unless something changes, but what about the chicks from the lady? Yes, I know, as soon as I saw and heard chickens sneezing, I should have just walked away (and maybe even called some sort of animal police), but I didn't.

As soon as everyone becomes old enough, I will be calling our local "guy" and have him come out and test everyone so I can get my certification so I can sell the chicks I don't want. (The chicks I ordered from Ideal were a "surprise" lot.) Yes, I could kick myself from buying from someone that appeared she might have sick birds (although I don't know for 100% that they were sick ?), but I did it and now will just have to wait and see.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I've often thought that if I were ever faced with this, or even brought in chickens that need quarantine, I would do a "test exposure." After the initial 30 days I'd choose one or two from my own flock and put them with the new ones for at least two weeks. I've read the illness may not show up until you mix them, even with the 30 day wait.

3. Vickir73

Vickir73 Chickens Ate My Brain

Sep 9, 2010
    Leggett/Livingston
    Dang it, I hit the report button instead of reply. I hit the back button instead of continuing so I hope I didn't cause any trouble. Thank you for the suggestion. I will try this and let you know if it works. I'm not 100% they are sick, but since I'm just building my flock back up from dogs and coons, I don't want to take any chance.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by