Should I wash eggs before incubating?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Katie Jo, Jan 9, 2009.

1. Katie Jo

Katie Jo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Wadsworth, Ohio
    I have some eggs with dirt on them....am I compromising them by washing them, or would it be better to wash than introduce possible bacteria to the incubator? Thanks in advance!

Katie

2. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    No! Don't wash them, they should be just fine [​IMG]

3. Katie Jo

Aug 12, 2008
    Wadsworth, Ohio
    What if the dirt might be pooh?

4. jbowyer01

jbowyer01 Just Me!

Aug 29, 2008
    Hogansville, Georgia
    From what I've read on BYC you DO NOT want to wash them. The eggs have their own kind of protection so it is better and safer not to wash them. Of course this is for incubating.

edited because it's a rough day.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
  5. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    If you can pick off some of the dirt/poo w/o washing the eggs or hurting the shell that's fine. Otherwise leave it alone! [​IMG]

6. Katie Jo

Aug 12, 2008
    Wadsworth, Ohio
    Okay....thanks! I'm glad I asked first....I almost washed them, then thought, "no, I should check BYC first!" Thank the Lord for this forum!!!

Katie

7. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Quote:I agree!

1 person likes this.
  8. emwa1988

emwa1988 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2015
    I know there are a lot of "don't wash!" people out there, but I read another thread on here (which I can't find now but will keep looking) that had a variety of opinions, many people saying washing (of some sort) had increased their hatch rate. After all, aren't you incubating and stimulating the development of any bacteria along with your eggs? I considered people's opinions and deduced that it seemed sensible to wash with plain water and clean hands. I have a batch of hatching eggs settling now ready to incubate tomorrow and I used a clean towel and warm water and carefully sponged off any dirt marks (hoping not to overly disturb the bloom). This is only my second hatch, last time my hatch rate was 50% using posted eggs, which seems to be the expected rate and we didn't wash though if I remember right the eggs weren't obviously dirty, a couple of smudges perhaps. Will let you know how it goes this time. Any more thoughts welcome.

9. emwa1988

emwa1988 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2015
  10. dirtychick

dirtychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2013
    Looks like a old tread - some sand -I scrape poo off. some wash with egg wash others-? I have noticed if much is left on they don't seem to hatch well-I think it causes them to dry out or not get anuff moisture .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by