Should I wash their feet?

Smileybans

Crowing
Nov 13, 2020
Upstate New York
So I feed my 3 week old silkie chicks fermented feed in the morning. And they have a tendency to jump into the bowl to be the first to eat it. Which ends up with their foot feathers caked in food. I don’t notice any walking difficulties but I’m worried it might lead to some. I’m also worried they will get cold if I wash them. Should I was their feet and if so how should I do it?
55EC6754-0DCF-43CF-9DC1-D482E1043BC3.jpeg
A541F3B4-04A7-4208-BB60-B5A389721558.jpeg

I would wash their feet, and if you can, gently blow dry them for a couple of minutes. The old feed could produce bacteria that might cause problems.

Then I would move the fermented feed so they can't crawl into it any more.

Silkies are a magnet for bumble foot, and it is best to let their feathers keep relatively clean on wood chips. I've had Silkies on muddy ground with no harm, but they were a mess.

LofMc

I would wash their feet, and if you can, gently blow dry them for a couple of minutes. The old feed could produce bacteria that might cause problems.

Then I would move the fermented feed so they can't crawl into it any more.

Silkies are a magnet for bumble foot, and it is best to let their feathers keep relatively clean on wood chips. I've had Silkies on muddy ground with no harm, but they were a mess.

LofMc
Thank you. I have a blow dryer so I can try and use that. I’ll put the bowl on something so they don’t jump into it. I’m just finding they love to jump right now.

Back
Top Bottom