Should I Wash This Chicken?

DogAndCat36

Crowing
Mar 12, 2020
Northern Maine
Should I wash this chicken?
She has, I think... poop? On her. And her tail feathers and wings managed to get oil on them.
20200805_180143.jpg

Also please don't mind the missing feathers. She is still growing feathers back from a rooster surplus problem.

I think it’s most of a preference. I don’t wash mine since they live pretty much in the woods and keep themselves moderately clean from the rain and such howevever if one were to need it. So if you think they’re covered in poo, they’ll live but you can wash them.

I would gently wash her in a tub if warm water with a little Dawn. Try using a wet washrag to gently wipe the poop off. Wipe with the feathers. Rinse well and then wrap in a towel to help dry the bird and if you have a hair dryer use on low to help dry.
Ok. Thank you so much!
But one problem, I don't have dawn soap.
Is this chicken safe? It says phosphate free.
20200805_191707.jpg

I think it’s most of a preference. I don’t wash mine since they live pretty much in the woods and keep themselves moderately clean from the rain and such howevever if one were to need it. So if you think they’re covered in poo, they’ll live but you can wash them.
She also has motter oil.

https://www.browneggblueegg.com/Article/WashingChickens.html

Read that maybe it will help. Personally, I would use the soap you have-seems the motor oil would be more hazardous. Just make sure you rinse rerinse thencrinse again and than dry. Baby shampoo might work, but really you need something that's gentle AND cuts grease.

Back
Top Bottom