should i wash?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by what was i thinking, Nov 8, 2008.

1. what was i thinking

what was i thinking Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    cny ny
    i just got so eggs this morning from shelly. the po called at 6:30 to say my eggs were in. so i got dressed and went down there. i stood at the counter and the nice lady gave me this box. it looked great not a scratch on it and labels all over it telling them to be careful.so, i was very sad to find half the eggs were broken in the cartons(three wrapped individually were perfect). they were wrapped good, so that isn't the problem by anymeans. shelly did a great job.
    anyway my question is:
    since my eggs are covered in egg whites, should i wash them. it is my understanding not to was them. but in one six pack, four were broken, the two are really covered. i am going to set them soon. just wanted to give them the best chance.
    thanks again for the help you guys have given me.

2. what was i thinking

Oct 1, 2008
    cny ny
    can someone please help me?

3. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    I would sanitize them by placing them in a gallon of warm water about 110 degrees. Place 1 Tablespoon of Clorox in the water and let them sit in the water for 2 minutes. Do not scrub them. I always sanitize me eggs prior to setting as do the large poultry hatcheries.

4. Heather J

Heather J Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    I know I read somewhere on the Web a solution of water and some disinfectant that someone used to clean her eggs before putting them in the incubator. most people don't wash, but I probably would if they were covered in egg white. I wish I had the link, if I find it, I'll let you know.

5. what was i thinking

Oct 1, 2008
    cny ny
    i am concerned the egg white will prevent the egg from "breathing"?

Last edited: Nov 8, 2008
  6. The Farmers Wife

The Farmers Wife Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    NW Arkansas
    A gentle rinse in very warm water will not hurt them.......very lightly rub the egg white off under the running water.........place them pointy end down at room temperature for 24 hours after arrival to allow your air cell to settle before incubation........ Good Luck! [​IMG]

7. Bandana

Bandana Chillin' With My Peeps

8. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    i would wash the eggs, yes.. I would not use 110 degree water.
    hot water might set the yolk on the shell.. I think a soaking in room temp water will soften that yolk,,

if the usps broke some eggs, do not be surprised if the unbroken ones are scrambled in their shells.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by