Should I withhold food and water before processing?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Schroeder, May 15, 2010.

1. Schroeder

Schroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2008
    Central Indiana
    My Coop
    Is there value to witholding food and water from my Coturnix for a period of time prior to butchering? For how long?

2. _Randall_

_Randall_ Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Grenada, Ms
    Quote:Don't know if it matters with a certain breed (wouldnt' think it would), but with Bobs I've processed, just retrieve them from the pen (which has a gravity feeder), de-head them, de-wing and leg them, and remove skin/feathers, split the back, remove entrails, wash good, and head to the freezer or skillet. Can't get any better on taste!!

3. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    I've done it both ways, and don't think there's a huge difference from withholding feed. The crop will be empty, but that's about your only advantage. (I've also only done chickens... maybe quail are different?)

4. underground chickenman

underground chickenman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2009
    Orlando, Florida
    Quote:Don't know if it matters with a certain breed (wouldnt' think it would), but with Bobs I've processed, just retrieve them from the pen (which has a gravity feeder), de-head them, de-wing and leg them, and remove skin/feathers, split the back, remove entrails, wash good, and head to the freezer or skillet. Can't get any better on taste!!

Randall: Do you have a picture of that gravity feeder? I am working on my pens and looking for ideas.

Thanks,

UGCM

5. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Withholding Food Empties The Crop As Mentioned Earlier, This Greatly Aids In Processing As It Is A Lil Less Messy And You Dont Have To Worry About Contaminating The Meat With Gastric Contents. And Besides Feeding A Quail In The Cull Line Is Like Using An Alcohol Pad Before Giving A Lethal Injection To Someone On Death Row--- I Mean We're Killin 'em Right? Like In A Minute Or So? Do You Really Think He Will Have Time To Get An Infection? And If He Did Would It Matter? [​IMG]

Save The Feed You'd Use For A Last Meal And Give It To The Batch In The Grow Out Pen Instead, I Dont Know About Y'all But Gamebird Feed Has Gone Up In Price Twice Here In The Past 4 Months... In The Grand Sceme Of Things I'm Sure The Amount Of Feed Is Small Comparatively, But Even Tiny Grains Of Sand Add Up To Make A Beach..

6. _Randall_

_Randall_ Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Grenada, Ms

Randall: Do you have a picture of that gravity feeder? I am working on my pens and looking for ideas.

Thanks,

UGCM

I think I made sense in this thread explaining it [​IMG] : https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=271708 Let me know if I didn't [​IMG] BTW, I wouldn't do anything different. Feed waste is no longer a problem.....Period!!

7. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    You can hold back feed, but never water. Holding back water just dehydrates the bird, making for a tougher carcass.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by