Should I worm our chooks as a precaution?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mags6999, Jan 18, 2015.

1. mags6999

mags6999 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2014
    Hiya

I've never thought of worming our chooks but sadly we lost our precious Keira last night... she was put to sleep at the vets... she apparently had a lung infection. She was as right as rain on Friday. Anyway I don't want to dwell on that at the mo.... but whilst looking on the net and my dummy book I saw articles which mimicked our poor Keira and it was worms (which she didn't have).

Is it advisable to worm our chooks? (we're going to get another four in April, we have three of the four, which we got last June), No doubt there are threads but I'm still mourning Keira (stupid I know but we loved her dearly... she was such a character). Sorry I'm digressing:

1. Should we worm? 2. If so when and how often? 3 With what? 4. I've read putting garlic in their water will help, but I also read that some cures were put in their food and the chooks stopped eating.

Help please...

2. mags6999

Jun 7, 2014
    and my avatar is our Keira... hadn't realised I put her pic on here.

3. cubalaya

cubalaya Overrun With Chickens

Nov 19, 2008
    central virginia
    I use wazine to worm every june as they begin to slow down laying. I use wazine to worm the pigs at the same time. in the fall when they are usually molting, I give them cayenne peppers and pumpkin seeds(natural wormers).

4. mags6999

Jun 7, 2014
    Hiya

Thanks for your answer... I think I'd like to go down the natural route. We've had our chooks since last June and they have been laying every day (we're in the UK)... well an egg missed here and there.

How often do you give them the cayenne peppers and pumpkin seeds? Could you let me know the quantity used, please and how to give it to them.

Thanks

Mags

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    It would be best to get Flubenvet and worm your birds. It's a very good wormer and there's no egg withdrawal period

6. mags6999

Jun 7, 2014
    Thanks Dawg

I'm more than happy to throw the eggs away... our chooks are first and foremost pets.

How often should I use Flubenvet? Our chooks don't have worms. When you say it doesn't interfere with egg laying, can we still distribute eggs to our friends and family? don't want to poisen them lol.

Am dreading the moulting period too.

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Here's a link for you to read:
    http://www.viovet.co.uk/Flubenvet_Wormer/c1021/

1 person likes this.
  8. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I have to worm mine twice a year. Otherwise they get worms, without fail.

9. mags6999

Jun 7, 2014
    Hi Dawg

I'm truly grateful for your advice. I've just managed to locate a supplier of the flubenvet. I am sooooooooooooooo angry that the supplier of our chooks didn't tell us that they needed worming. I could be wrong but the symptoms Keira showed was akin to gapeworm..but I may just be surmising.

When I spoke to Omlet this morning (we are getting another four chooks in April) I told her that the chap that delivered them said all they need is the food they supplied, clean water and shade from heat... nothing else... the response? Oh he must have forgotten to tell you that.

Anyway once again a great big thanks... I only come on this site when I have problems.... Maybe I should take some time to look at the site in more detail...

10. mags6999

Jun 7, 2014
    Thanks for your response... You will see from my response to Dawg what's happened. If only I'd known.... how often do we ever say that? Anyway we are better equipped to deal with the new chooks we are getting.... I'm hoping that the only other trauma is when they begin to moult. Hey ho...... Before we had chooks I would never have realised that you could love them so much... Me and hubby crying our eyes out at vets...wimps that we are lol.

Thanks again

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by