Should I worry about hawks in Portland, OR?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by matimeo, Oct 30, 2010.

1. matimeo

matimeo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    Oregon
    I live in a very urban setting with a small backyard and two very large mature trees. However, there is a large forested park nearby. I am in the Portland, OR area. Anyone else around here ever had trouble with hawks? They are really the only daytime predator I've thought to worry about.

2. Ibicella

Ibicella Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2009
    Everett, WA
    Absolutely.

3. tallyho

tallyho Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    Oh Yeah! I lost one to a hawk in the winter (no leaf cover) and a friend experienced and attack on his chicken while she was right next to him in the yard. He fought the hawk off her.

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I'm right outside Portland and we usually have one to three hawks in the sky. Also I've seen them down off the 205 on the Wash. side near the river.

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Absolutely X 2!

6. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    I'm starting to wonder if there are more hawks inside the city than outside the city where I live. I live in an urban area and I have hawks visiting my small yard nearly every day. The bad thing is they have no fear. I've stood in the yard and waved my arms as a red tailed hawk swooped about 6' from me (repeatedly) to try to grab at one of my birds. My neighbor has an owl decoy on his water cistern and the hawks love to perch on it's head. So, decoys and scarecrows won't be much of a deterrent. I also worry about dogs in the city. Hardly a week goes by that I don't see a dog wandering by itself down the street. A few times they even got over my 6' wall and into the back yard. I don't worry too much about cats--my girls terrorize them, but we have a giant feral Manx that roams the neighborhood. It's nearly bobcat-sized. Fortunately, I only see it at night. Anyway, I thought I'd share what urban day-time predators I have to think about.

7. andythescot

andythescot Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2009
    Central Mass
    You should worry about hawks wherever you are. ESPECIALLY in the fall-- its when they migrate.

8. matimeo

matimeo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    Oregon
    Thanks for the input. I've never seen any around, but doesn't mean there aren't any. We have lots of crows, I wonder if that makes a difference. I guess I'll be a little more careful about letting my girls out unsupervised until they get full size.

9. FinsUp

FinsUp Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    lake oswego flats
    full sized doesn't make a difference. Either does a dog in the yard. My husband and I were sitting on the back portion of our deck, close to the house, when lots of squawk just in time to see hawk belly flying towards the sky not 20' from us! I'm pretty sure it was bombing for Lola. I thought she jumped off something and sprained her leg a couple days ago. Now I'm thinking it may have been a hawk then too. She is one of the largest of our girls and one of two Delawares (nothing like a bright white beacon in the middle of the yard). Our dog had just come back from making a tour of the yard.

So, nature will take it's course if you don't guard against it, no matter where you live. Needless to say, the girls are mad at us, but they are in lock-down for a while til the hawk moves on.

10. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    Hawks can be a problem in all 50 states in both rural and urban areas. It's always better to be safe than sorry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by