Should I worry about low weight

ippi46

Chirping
Sep 3, 2020
I have two questions. I just got my first chicks 5 days ago. They are 8 days old. I got 3 RIR's and I noticed yesterday that one seems smaller than the others. I did some research and from what I can tell they should weigh about 65 grams at this point. I weighed them and one weighs 74 grams, one weighs 54 grams and the small one weighs 48 grams. They are all eating and drinking well. Although, the small one doesn't seem to eat as much as her sisters. Their poop looks normal (green and brown), no red. They are all active and chirping. Again, the small one doesn't seem to be quite as active as her sisters.

Should I be worried? Should I monitor her weight for a couple of days?

Also, the one that weighs 54 grams will sometimes plop down and scoot on her stomach. Is this normal?

I have two questions. I just got my first chicks 5 days ago. They are 8 days old. I got 3 RIR's and I noticed yesterday that one seems smaller than the others. I did some research and from what I can tell they should weigh about 65 grams at this point. I weighed them and one weighs 74 grams, one weighs 54 grams and the small one weighs 48 grams. They are all eating and drinking well. Although, the small one doesn't seem to eat as much as her sisters. Their poop looks normal (green and brown), no red. They are all active and chirping. Again, the small one doesn't seem to be quite as active as her sisters.

Should I be worried? Should I monitor her weight for a couple of days?

Also, the one that weighs 54 grams will sometimes plop down and scoot on her stomach. Is this normal?
As long as they seem healthy, everything should be fine. I would observe and make sure everyone is eating and drinking; and if all is well I wouldn’t worry. Just make sure they have access to chick food and clean, fresh water all the time. No treats or chick grit right now. My RIRs were different sizes too, turned out the larger ones were cockerels.

As long as they seem healthy, everything should be fine. I would observe and make sure everyone is eating and drinking; and if all is well I wouldn’t worry. Just make sure they have access to chick food and clean, fresh water all the time. No treats or chick grit right now. My RIRs were different sizes too, turned out the larger ones were cockerels.
Thanks! That's what I figured but I wanted to check to make sure.

Back
Top Bottom