Should I worry about the birds being able to roost in the rafters?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Long Last Farm, Jun 29, 2010.

1. Long Last Farm

Long Last Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2010
    Southern Tier, NY
    Hi! We finished our remodel of an 8 x10 shed last week, and the chickens seem to love it. We provided them with a "ladder type" roost that has plenty of room for all the birds and then some.

The height of the ceiling at it's peak has got to be maybe 12-14 feet. The rafters are at about 10 feet.

I did a head count this morning when I went into the coop to fiil the water and food containers, and 4 chickens were nowhere to be found....until I looked up and saw them roosting on the rafters!

They are about 12 weeks old full sized chickens ( not bantys).
    Should I be concerned or just chalk it up to normal chicken behavior? I suppose if it is dangerous, i could conceal the rafters in some way, but what do you think?
    Pat

2. ducks4you

ducks4you Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    East Central Illinois
    Not to worry. Though they LOOK like raptors, they are small prey animals. Roosting high gives them security. [​IMG]

3. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, they want to be as high as possible for two reasons. They feel safer... but also because being higher than another chook means they're 'better' than the other chooks [​IMG]. It doesn't actually mean they're safer though. Raccoons can climb Oh SO well. The 'better' thing, well, that's all up to them I suppose.

If they're heavy breeds, or even dual purpose breeds, then getting down might be dangerous for them, especially in limited space. A friend who has golden comets, (not a very heavy hen) has hens that climb way up at least that high, probably higher and he's never had an injury. They're in a fairly roomy barn though and it's really your call!

4. TurkeyMountainChickens

TurkeyMountainChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Central Virginia
    If they can, they will! Just be careful not to stand underneath them!

5. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Quote:....and then look up with your mouth open...

6. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Yes, you have to worry. Their getting down can cause serious injuries. Put a wire ceiling up to prevent their going too high.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by